We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

All,

I am scheduled to be in Athens June 15-17. I was going to stay at the King George right near the Square/Parliament, but my travel agent has suggested moving completely out of the city because the next election is scheduled for June 17th and she is concerned about protests/safety. I think this is being way over cautious. From what I have read there is no need for concern.

I have decided to move from the King George just so I am not right in the Square if there are demonstrations, but dont feel the need to leave the city center completely. Can someone recommend a comparabale hotel to stay in? We want to be near the sites, as we are only there one full day and want to take advantage of the sites, go to dinner in Athens, etc. I am just not that familiar with the best area to stay in.

Thanks

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

Tell him / her that she has absolutely no clue what he / she is talking about.

Next thing he / she may suggest will be to avoid the country all over; or even the continent.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 15:01
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

I know, I agree, its ridiculous, which is why I am not moving from city center. Can you recommend any hotels?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

- King George and Grande Bretagne are among the best hotels in the city.

- Electra Palace Hotel in similar class range, 10 minutes walking from there and a bit closer to the sites / off Syndagma Sq. Has a pool ( King George doesen't have one except their Royal Suite ), it's almost a 5* and more or less similar price.

- If i was picking 3* - 4* which means a bit more modern look, no pools, less frills but good locations etc, i 'd pick Athens Gate Hotel or Airotel Parthenon or Hotel Plaka. All three are very good, less prices and nearer to sites. All three get really good reviews here.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 15:13
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d228901…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d227384…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d250589…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d197721…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

Or you can ask Grand Bretagne what room can you get with the amount of money you want to spend providing that they can take you to another hotel if there are protests and give you the difference.So you can have a win win situation and enjoy the best hotel of Athens

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

Sounds great! Thank you! I had been looking at athens gate but will check out these others as well

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

whats the hilton like?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

- Good pool ( best / largest hotel pool in the city, definitely like the pool )

- Good location ( but not walking distance from the sites. It's 25 minutes walking to the sites or two subway stops. A taxi to Acropolis area will be 3.20 euros appx. )

- Some restaurants in short distance. More options in two subway stops

- "Byzantine" restaurant in hotel's ground floor is one of my favorite places, but goes in the 25 euros per person range

- Airport bus stop to get you back to the airport right outside the hotel doors / subway station a 3 minutes walking distance / airport subway also 5 minutes distance.

- Rooms are good, a bit corporate feeling, bathrooms are really really good.

- Room service and other things pretty expensive in, you can find similar things half the price outside the hotel.

- Hilton is located on what i call "the museum mile". Avenue from the hotel to Syndagma is appx. 3/4 of a mile and has 6 world class museums.

- Fantastic roof top bar.

I 'd pick it but i would have in mind that this will not be walking distance to the sites ( Athenians walk it, but i mean it's not 5 minutes ). I 'd also see what's the price. If you have miles to spend and get a great deal + definitely want a pool, i 'd take it. But on a 3 days schedule, if you are a very busy city explorer you may want something that's 5 - 10 minutes from the sites.

All in all very good hotel.

Difficult, huh? :)

Edited: 30 May 2012, 18:31
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

nick arch has come up with some good suggestions for a hotel.

I would personally leave Hilton out, as not so close the the sights etc. and you will end up looking for a taxi (or it seems nowadays that it is them who are looking for customers!) forever.

A friend of mine was very satisfied with the Electra Palace hotel in the past.

Why to worry indeed about the election day? It is a day not for demonstrations, but people go to vote, then everyone having a nice lunch outside, and in the evening glued to the TV waiting for the results. Enjoy this peaceful day!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel To Stay Thats Not Right Near Parliament (Protests)

Also, you might want to try the Periscope Hotel:

http://www.yeshotels.gr/node/6

It is in the center of Athens in the wealthy and chic Kolonaki Area.