We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

This might sound like a silly question, but is 3 hours 20 mins PLENTY of time to transfer at Athens Airport from an international Qatar flight from Australia to an Olympic flight to Thessaloniki?

I probably sound a bit paranoid but we have missed a flight in Athens Airport on a previous holiday because my travel agent only allowed 50 mins to transfer at Athens from a flight from Santorini onto a flight to Thessaloniki (Olympic & Aegean). So we were stranded and it messed up our plans, not to mention loosing our airfare & having to buy 4 new tickets.

Anyway, if anyone can please let me know if you believe this time frame will be enough, so I can relax about it :)

Thank you so much for your help.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

With 3hrs 20min you have more than enough time for a transfer. I wouldn't worry at all! :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,702 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

It's so much time that you risk missing your connecting flight while browing the excellent airport shops.

Seriously, it's much more than enough time. Athens airport is efficient and easy to negotiate, and a good airport to spend time in. And as long as you keep an eye on the time you really will enjoy the shops. There is also a small museum of artefacts found while the area was being excavated for the airport.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 08:55
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

Don't go through security too soon, nothing there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,702 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

Milesfromewood is right: the shops are all before security. Once you go through, there's nothing to do but wait for your flight to be called.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

Wow, you have all been so helpful. I will relax and do some shopping (b4 security and while watching the clock too) - thank you so much!

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
120 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

I agree with what's gone before and certain,y wouldn't encourage you to rush through security but, do be aware that the queues to get through can be quite lengthy and slow so do make sure you allow sufficient time. They were pretty thorough when I travelled through Athens airport in May and June - I even had to take my camera out of my bag and remove thr lens cap! Which I've never been asked to do at Heathrow!

7. Re: Transfering Planes at Athens Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 06:16