We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Toronto, Onario
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Hi,

I'm going to be in the area in late August/early September this year. From what I can see the Greek Superleague will start it's season around that time. I was thinking about trying to make a Olympiacos F.C. match in Piraeus, but I can't find schedules anywhere.

Does anyone know when these get posted? Is it just too early or am I looking in the wrong places?

Thanks for any help

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Schedules haven't been posted yet. They probably will be posted later in July or early in August.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Olympiakos!?!?

Can we please ban this person from the forum??

juuuust kidding... :)

Toronto, Onario
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Thanks a lot.

While on the topic, I'm not a major Greek Superleage fan. From what I can see Olympiacos has some amazing atmosphere, but I know there are other teams in the Athens area. Where should I go? Who should I see?I'm looking for atmosphere...

Thanks!

Edited: 12 July 2012, 13:43
stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Both AEK and Panathaniakos play in the Olympic Stadium at Marousi.It is quite an experience to visit the stadium and take in a match.Other super league teams in Athens are Panionisos in Nea Smyrni where I have been,nice small ground quite close to the tram.Also,Atromitos in Peristeri where I havent been.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

You are right, if it's atmosphere you're looking for, Olympiakos is the best choice. They have the best stadium and usually the best attendance's in the league.

The other teams are:

Panathinaikos

AEK (if they don't go bust)

Panionios (woo!)

Atromitos

The latter two are smaller teams and their small grounds have good atmosphere when they are playing against one of the bigger teams...

OAKA, where Panathinaikos and AEK play have to be full for it to have a good atmosphere, the running track between the crowd and field ruins the experience a bit...

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

september is the start of the european games.....OFC are in the Champions L(via winners of Greek L)...1st group stage matches 18th 19thsept.......

IF they have to qualifiy (don't think they have) then the second leg play off are on the 28th-29th Aug

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,931 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

The atmosphere at the Karaiskakis Stadium is truly amazing. Good luck in getting to see Greece's most successful football team.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Olympiakos Piraeuas stadium Karaiskaki capacity is only 33,334

worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/gr…

Panathinaikos FC play at the Olympic stadium..capacity 71,030

worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/gr…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Capacity doesn't really mean anything in this case though, since the only time the Olympic Stadium ever even comes close to filling up for a Superleague match is in the classic "derby" Panathinaikos vs. Olympiakos. Olympiakos has tended to lead the Superleague in average attendance most seasons though, despite a far smaller seating capacity.

Just read today that the draw for the 2012-13 season will take place on July 16, so on that date, we will know the schedule of matches in September.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olympiacos F.C. September 2012?

Olympiakos average attendance last season was 21,523 though it was the best in Greece by some way, still lots of empty seats.