We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from US to Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Travel from US to Athens

I've been looking into airfare from Austin, TX to Athens. It's pretty disappointing that it takes 2 days to get there. If I leave Austin at 6:60 pm October 19 we don't arrive in Athens until 4:30 the next day. Very frustrating...This is going through either Heathrow or Madrid as the European hub. Currently looking at American Airlines. Just wondering if this is the best we can do...any thoughts?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from US to Athens

Hey and welcome Texasbabe:-) Yeah..it's a haul;-) Even from NYC you don't get there on a direct till the next day.. don't forget the time change as well that add to the next day arrival.. but you usually make up for it on the return arriving same day;-) You can pretty much check out all your options at www.kayak.com/ You'll need to make a plane change regardless.. don't know all your options out of Austin but the site is a good one showing consolidators like Expedia, Orbitz, etc. along with direct carrier sites! It'll be well worth it once you're there.. you'll see;-) Happy planning.. and EnjoY!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from US to Athens

You definitely don't count in the time change indeed.

From Texas to Greece it's 8 hours difference.

So, something that seems as appx. 22 hours, is actually 14 hours, more or less, which is not that bad really. You need that time on a super fast ferry to cross the Aegean :)

I 'd probably look for options through Madrid to cut travelling time a bit. Or Rome maybe. Other than that, i 'd also look the option of two flights, instead of three, which most probably means connecting through New York, on the Delta direct from JFK to Athens.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 20:18
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from US to Athens

..if you look at Kayak, you'll note the Alitalia flight is actually flown on Delta equipment and hooks up with the trans out of JFK.. way more economical booking on the code share than with Delta directly unfortunately;-) I'd definitely try and keep it to 1 plane change.. most appear to be domesttically via NYC.. and fwiw, you get the long haul done and over with on the trans;-) Best.. keep enjoyin'!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from US to Athens

Best I can find for your date is AUS to JFK to ATH ...1 stop 16h 30m Alitalia

Not sure of your return dates but a 2 stop might be better than 1 stop return time wise

Best time I can find is 18h 27m ATH to CDG to MSP to AUS Air France

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from US to Athens

Thanks so much for your information. I'll definitely be looking into that AUS->JFK->ATH. Sounds like a good way to go!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from US to Athens

Our pleasure Texasbabe:-) Just note to book it via Alitalia to get the better rate.. it's Delta flights all the way so you should be able to check luggage through all the way to Athens;-) Enjoyin'!

7. Re: Travel from US to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:15