We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Airport to Downtown Question

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Another Airport to Downtown Question

The last time I was in Athens I took the X95 bus into town, and that was fine. There was a metro section shut down so that was not an option to take. I've just booked a flight to Athens, arriving on Sunday, 16 of September. What would be my best option for traveling to the Evangelismos Metro station? Do I need to change trains at Doukissis Plakentias? (Enlighten me about the Surburban train advantage/disadvantage? How much will it cost? Next, I have a flight leaving to Mykonos on a Tuesday at 13:00. Would the Metro be the best choice as well? THEN (wheh!) I'll be arriving back on a Thursday 13:00 from Crete and traveling to Syntagma. Then going back out to the airport the next day for a 12:45 international flight. Suggestions? Thanks! I really appreciate your patience and support!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Airport to Downtown Question

Okay, I just reread my previous post and I got a headache...Essentially what I was asking (and providing lots of additional information) is what's the best economical way to go to and from the airport given the times and days provided. Also, do I need to change trains/metro at Doukissis Plakentias? Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Airport to Downtown Question

The most economical way is to use bus X95 (which has a 5 euro ticket, I think).

The best and fastest way is to use the metro. The ticket for that is 8 euros or 14 for 2 people.

Theres no need to change anywhere since airport metro is the blue line that also goes by Evangelismos, Syntagma, Monastiraki stations etc.

Trip from airport to Evangelismos will be about 40 minutes, rain or shine... no need to worry about traffic and rush hours etc.

The only downfall regarding airport metro is its frequency. It runs only every 30 minutes, so you have to see the schedule and plan accoridingly.

Eg. if you exit the airport and realise that you ve just missed it, then it will be a 30 min wait for the next one to depart, so in that case it would be better to take the bus.

When you are in Athens and want to go to the airport, you have to make sure you board an airport bound train. All blue line trains will go up until Doukissis Plakentias station (which is the terminal station for Athens proper). Only once in every 30 minutes the train will continue all the way to the airport. So you either wait in central Athens in order to board the correct train ( there are led signs informing you about departure times) or you board whatever train comes and then do the waiting at Doukisis Plakentias station. Theres no need to leave the platform. Just check the sign to see when the next airport train will arrive.

I ve seen countless times puzzled tourists freaking out when they realise the train will terminate there.

Proastiakos (suburban) from the airport to Doukisis Plakentias follows exactly the same route (same tracks) as the metro. Since you re not interested in any of the suburban stations that follow after Doukisis Plakentias, theres no need to take that instead of the metro.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Airport to Downtown Question

I agree with that, Evan76 - but when he arrives, jdmckay is going to the Evangelismos Metro station. If he does take the bus, will he be able to get off there? I have seen passengers being dropped off at the Hilton though, and that is very close to Evangelismos. But I agree, it would probably be simpler to take the Metro.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Airport to Downtown Question

Well my suggestion was to use the metro.

However I think the bus does stop at evangelismos area, although I m not sure if its closer to Hilton or the metro station.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Airport to Downtown Question

City bound, X95 stops at Evangelismos stop. Hilton is at the other side of the avenue. Bus stop is right aside the metro station escalators.

Airport bound passes outside Hilton and this is where the stop is. Hilton is, more or less, the other side of this big traffic junction.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Airport to Downtown Question

Ee're staying at the Hilton the first two nights and the Royal Olympic the last night. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully, we can time it right for the metro.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Airport to Downtown Question

Oops "We're" staying ...

8. Re: Another Airport to Downtown Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 06:15