We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

Monemvasia was our first port of call on our cruise to Rome.

We anchored early and at 9.30 we were on the tender to the little port from where we started a slow walk towards the rock over the causeway.Although it looked steep the road up was on a fairly gentle incline so although a hot walk was not arduous.

Eventually,we came to a gate and entered the walled town.I am not sure of what I was expecting but it was a bit of a surprise to find tourist shops and cafes lining the little streets.It reminded us a bit of Mont St.Michel or Rocamadour in France.

The path we were taking eventually came to a bit of a dead end.My husband was all for finding a different route to the ruins at the top but I was happy to just wander back down as I had seen some possible gifts for my daughter and a little something for myself.We also bought a lovely poster and the shop owner even advised us on the exact shade and thickness for the surround when we came to get it mounted back home.

Back in the lower town we wandered around a while and had drinks in a cafe near the port.

It was a delightful morning.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
903 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

One of Greece's best kept secrets, beautiful little town...

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,697 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by the reference to tourist shops and bars. Everything is very lowkey and in keeping with this beautiful place. And it's really only one street that has them.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,754 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

<<<<And it's really only one street that has them.>>>>

Yes, & it's the rest that worth exploring, much more interesting!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

Here are some photos from the official website dedicated to Monemvasia - such a beautiful place. monemvasia.gr/en/photo-and-video-gallery-mon…

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

One of the most beautiful places in Greece and not overrun :)

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,875 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

Hi,

It is a beautiful place as is the rest of the Peloponnese. Have you started planning your next trip to Greece yet Mummygaot?

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression.We didn't just look in the shops.We wandered around the quiet side streets and also visited a lovely church.

Andy----We are off to France in September but certainly hope to return to Greece some time.

8. Re: Monemvasia---a bit of a surprise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 05:16