We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Sofia

Asuncion, Paraguay
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Sofia

I'm planning to travel from Athens to Sofia and so on up to Budapest, Slovenia and Italy. In 2005 somebody posted a night train leaving Athens at 11:59 PM, arriving in Thessaloniki at 5:30 AM, and the a train leaving from there to Sofia at 7:00 AM, which arrives in Sofia at 1:00 PM. Are those still running as of today, July 2012? Thanks!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Sofia

There are no trains between Greece and other countries but there are buses from Thessaloniki to Sofia. Or you could fly.

Asuncion, Paraguay
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Sofia

Thank you! Efgaristo! Is there any daytime train from Athens to Thessaloniki? I may spend there 1 or 2 nights and then take a bus from there to Sofia... By the way, do you recommend a particular bus company? Are busses comfortable?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Sofia

There are 6 daytime trains from Athens to Thessaloniki per day as well as a nighttime one. They are very reasonably priced, although their quality of service is below that of other european railroads. You can check for times and fares (and book online tickets as well) on the Trainose website (www.trainose.gr). Although from its homepage it seems to be only in greek, once you enter their online booking engine, you can switch to english.

Talking about bus routes from Thessaloniki to Sofia, you can find more information about companies, timetables and pricing at the Central Bus Station of Sofia website (http://www.centralnaavtogara.bg/index.php).

What is more, there seems to be also direct bus services from Athens to Sofia. Unfortunately, I can't comment on them as I've never used them.

Asuncion, Paraguay
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Sofia

The information you gave me will be very useful. Thank you!

5. Re: Athens to Sofia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 06:15