We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Milford On Sea Uk
Level Contributor
62 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Can someone please tell me how far it is from the Acropolis to the museum and the best way to get there. We are in Athens for one day and have to be back on the ship by 4.30 pm.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

It is a quite long walk, i 'd say +40 minutes, so on a tight schedule walking is not an option.

I 'd take a taxi to save time. It is doable on public transportation but it iwll need time too. A taxi ride from the base of the Acropolis Hill will take 15 minutes or less and will cost around 6 - 11 euros, depending the traffic. It shouldn't cost more.

The whole area around Acropolis Hill is pedestrianised. As far as i remember you are arriving on a Monday and probably taking a cab from Piraeus. Cab should leave you at the base of the Hill, in front of the Dionussus Restaurant, 5 - 6 minutes walking distance form the ticket booth. This is where you should head after your Acropolis visit to get a cab again. They usually queue there or around the parking spot. To get there after your visit on the Hill, exit the site and turn to the left instead of turning to the right.

You can see area around the Hill in the following map. Parking spot and Dionussus Resturant are both pinpointed. Map: tinyurl.com/Acropolis-Agora-walk-English . It's "lower left" from the Hill. Give it some time to fully load, till you see the blue walking path. I have also included a pinpoint for the NA Museum; you 'll have to scroll towards the North to see location. Both subway station serving the Museum ( 6 - 7 minutes wlaking ) are also included, still i 'd suggest taking a cab back to the cruise ship ( which should cost around 22 - 27 euros ).

Mentioned in this post
Acropolis Hill Hotel
Acropolis Hill Hotel
785 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,194 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Please do keep in mind that the area around Acropolis Hill is full of sites, including Agora Museum too. NA Museum is the biggest collexction of Greek sculpture and a lot more in the world ( keep in mind that some Halls are closed due to some fiscal difficulties, this sees to be the *only* major museum in the country getting affected, pretty big one ).

An alternative scenario for the day can include a visit towards Agora site, visit to Agora Museum and then exploring Monastiraki area ( all included in the map ). You 'll be around Green metro line which, again, can get you back to seaport. It is also a very interesting area.

For a first visit and having in mind you are coming from Great Britain ( which means you can always hop on a cheap flight to Athens again for a quick long weekend during the winter to get some sun and some museums ) i 'd also explore this option, visiting Agora site and Agora Museum. Last museum does not compare at all in size with the NA Museum ( Agora Museum is small, NA Museum is one of the biggest in the world, needs some upgrading and some more staff but artifacts are simply unique ). Decisions, decisions :)

Mentioned in this post
Acropolis Hill Hotel
Acropolis Hill Hotel
785 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Monastiraki
Monastiraki
4,445 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Milford On Sea Uk
Level Contributor
62 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Many thanks Nick for all your helpful replies to my posts. Like many destinations Athens needs a holiday by itself. Arriving for one day there is a temptation to try and do to much

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,746 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Here is to give you some ideas about the Acropolis area and close neighbourhood:

Acropolis area

http://tinyurl.com/czdx56

Ancient Agora

http://tinyurl.com/naxmtu

Kerameikos

http://tinyurl.com/d72ehy

Monastiraki

http://tinyurl.com/qvv6nr

Flea market

http://tinyurl.com/2bbp5ww

Thission

http://tinyurl.com/24k5jy3

A Plaka walk

http://tinyurl.com/34b2gt3

Anafiotika

http://tinyurl.com/6gbmt43

And some photos from the National Archeological Museum

http://tinyurl.com/c2npk4

Edited: 31 July 2012, 12:07
Mentioned in this post
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,194 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Monastiraki
Monastiraki
4,445 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
11,877 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Anafiotika
Anafiotika
984 Reviews
Athens, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

If you take Nick's suggestion, you might also have time to visit the Kerameikos a little further away. It's included in the 12-euro ticket that you'll buy at the Acropolis entrance. I think it is one of the most interesting of Athens' sites, certainly the quietest and most atmospheric, and it has an excellent small museum. Greek Traveller's photos give you some idea of the artefacts.

You wouldn't have time to do all this in a day, but as Nick says, it's easy enough to return! Unless it's very hot, I think you might enjoy a day spent outdoors like this more than the NAM. much as I love it. If you do go to the NAM, a taxi is definitely the best way. It's a long walk, and even if you go by metro there's a walk at the end - and it's a cumbersome, time-consuming journey. I've always walked it, but you don't have time for that.

Another option, if you've seen enough sites and museums, would be a walk up Philoppapos Hill - splendid views all the way of the Acropolis, and jaw-dropping views of the whole of Athens and the Saronic gulf from the top. A short detour along the way to visit the Pnyx is worthwhile. The entrance to the hill is just opposite the Acropolis entrance.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 12:57
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Pnyx
Pnyx
85 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Great info in here - thanks Nick for the link to the walk.

Sorry if this is a "thread hijack", but I have a couple of questions related to the linked walk of the Acropolis -

I will have one late afternoon (plane arrives @ 4:20 pm) followed by one full day (Sept 8th + 9th) in Athens. Will be staying at the Attalos Hotel.

I'm assuming that we would get to the hotel around 6:30 or so, freshen up and be ready for a light evening out around 8. I doubt I will get any sight-seeing in other than a stroll through a neighborhood and dinner that first night.

1) Coming from the Attalos, do we enter the Acropolis on the side you put in your walk? (Looks to be the South side of the hill) Or can we enter from the North side? Would you recommend that?

2) We definitely want to hit the Acropolis and Agora, but also want to squeeze in a museum - I really want to do the Nat. Arc. Museum, but based on our timeframe, is only the Acropolis museum feasible? I'm assuming we would hit that later in the day. Any further suggestions on itinerary or places we could fit in would be welcomed.

We will be hitting a "nice" dinner later on that evening as is the start of our honeymoon so we'll probably want to be washed up, ready to head out from our hotel around 8 ( I would say 7 coming from the States, but I guess everyone likes to eat a little later :) )

I've been reading through a lot of threads - everyone is very helpful. It's much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Attalos Hotel
Attalos Hotel
2,005 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Acropolis Museum
Acropolis Museum
28,372 Reviews
Athens, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

From the Attalos, which is in Athinas Street, it's best to approach the Acropolis from the north. If you walk down Aeolou, the parallel street to Athinas, you'll come to the beautiful Tower of the Winds (do stop and look at it). From there keep going uphill on any of the winding Plaka streets - it doesn't matter which. When you can't go any further up, turn right into Theorias which will take you in a couple of minutes to the Acropolis entrance. It's about a 15-minute walk, and a very nice one.

If you wanted to approach from the south you'd need to walk right around the Hill, up Stratonos (very steep) and down Thrassilou, turning right when you get to the pedestrian street, Dionissiou Areopagitou. The entrance to the walk up to the Acropolis entrance will be on your right. This is the "official"way, but it will take a good deal longer. From the Attalos it really is quicker and easier to approach from the north.

9 September is a Sunday, and according to the National Archaeological Museum's website the opening hours (from 8 June 2012) are 9 am to 4pm Tuesdays to Sundays. So I don't think you'll be able to fit it in, unfortunately, unless you wanted to race there in a taxi after seeing the Acropolis and the Agora, and then go back to see the Acropolis Museum which is open until 8. I don't think you should miss the Acropolis Museum, which will really enhance your Acropolis visit/

Mentioned in this post
Attalos
Attalos
428 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
11,877 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Acropolis Museum
Acropolis Museum
28,372 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,194 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Having in mind you 'll probably be jet;agged, you 'll have to make some compromises, since this seems as a very tightly timed stay in Athens.

One full day is really just a day.

1) Entrance to the Acropolis is on the West side. It will be a quite long walk from Monastiraki side, around the Hill, or walking trough Agora, directly up the Hill, doing the path on reverse. I highly suggest against doing it.

It is the steepest available approach, will take more time and there is no need to get through such an exhausting walk path at the start of the day.

As the map description says, take subway to Akropoli subwy station, start from there and end at Agora and your hotel direction.

2) I 'd probably stick in only Acropolis, Agora and Acropolis Museum. It's already a lot for a day, i 'd do it in two days and this will eman you 'll have to leave out of the lsit many places, like Tomb of Unkown Soldier, Lycabettus Hill and shopping / getting a bit lazy. Is this only one full day you have in Athens? You can probably try to fit the Museum on the 8th, since, landing at 16.20, you 'll be at your hotel at around 18.00 - 18.30. Nah, too short. . . then perhaps going to Agora on the 8th if it's not a jet;agged arrival, it's really near your hotel. Then next day going to Acropolis and Acropolis Museum.

3) Go for dinner later, around 8pm. You want to dine among other people. Greeks will go at 8pm, 9pm, 10pm :) I'd hit Greek House Attikos.

I don't know your overall itinerary, is this an arrival all the way from Denver on the 8th? it probably is since you refer it's the start of the honeymoon; then count in expected tiredness from the flight and some jetlag. In this case i 'd see how i 'd feel on the 8th, then squeeze Agora in or an orientation walk; then next day first thing ( it will be a cruel start after the flight, but you 'll do it if you go to bed early prior night ) the Acropolis site and then Agora / returning to Acropolis Museum later on the day and the heading to the Attikos Greek House. Thsi means doing Acropolis site / Agora early on the day, crashing for some hours, returning at Acropolis Museum at 5, visiting it, dessert, pre dinner drink in the restuarant there, then going for dinner.

This, seems as a very effective plan, to squeeze more in and exploit time the best. Two sites in the morning, then rest, then museum and dinner later, then perhaps walking to the hotel around the Hill and then preparing for the next trip leg.

Edited: 01 August 2012, 22:24
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Monastiraki
Monastiraki
4,445 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,194 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Acropolis Museum
Acropolis Museum
28,372 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Cafe Lycabettus
Cafe Lycabettus
81 Reviews
Athens, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Well, with great respect and greater trepidation I have to disagree with Nick about the walk to the Acropolis from the Attalos. I've done this walk dozens of times, and it is not long or exhausting, and although it's steep it's not difficult unless you have mobility issues. (And I speak as quite an old person.) You don't have go around the hill; but whether you go up through the Agora or through the streets of Plaka, it is a very nice walk. IF you want to walk. And if you do want to walk, it's the shortest way.

If you would rather not walk, then it will be best to do as Nick suggests and take the metro to Akropoli - and you're there.

Edited: 01 August 2012, 22:38
Mentioned in this post
Attalos
Attalos
428 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
11,877 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Acropolis to Nat. Archeological Museum

Distance wise it is a short walking path indeed, as Alabastron very correctly says, if you cut it through Agora, or going through Plaka streets ( i 'd pick streets near the limit of Plaka and Agora ).

Starting from Monastiraki side it is indeed the shortest way to the top. I 'll get a link for this in some minutes.

But it is the steepest way possible :) For some people it is a very long ascend, even if short in strictly length terms.

Map in some minutes :)

Mentioned in this post
Plaka
Plaka
11,877 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Monastiraki
Monastiraki
4,445 Reviews
Athens, Greece