We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

Oxford
Level Contributor
177 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

Hi,

I am travelling to Greece in a few weeks on holiday. As usual, one of the conditions of my travel insurance is that I report any thefts to the police and get a report from them to go with the claim.

I have now come across a report on an American news web side that refers to having to pay 100 euros to file a police report! Can this be right or is it another example of sloppy reporting or misunderstanding?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

Hi,

I'm afraid the report you read is correct.

Ifigenia

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

what!!

surely that cannot be the case?

it is bad enought that the police in athens are totally indifferent to tourists reporting thefts and crime, now they have to pay 100 euros for the privelidge of doing so.

what ever are they thinking?

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

I had to act as a translator some years ago to a local police station in Western Greece, for an Enlish visitor who lost his wallet and needed such report for dealing with his insurance company.Two years ago a Spanish visitor had her bag picked in Naoussa,Paros, and I had to accompany her to local police station to file a report too. In no case money were required, just a bit patience, because Greek officials need to take their time lol

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

Ifigenia do you have some more recent expeirence on that one?

I understand that often buraucracy requires some "hartosima", so maybe a small fee is now necessary under whatever new laws. but 100 euro??? This seems far too much to me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

Hi,

The new law to the effect was passed last year.

You cannot "file a police report" in Greece. You can either file an indictment for criminal charges (which costs 100€) or sue for damages (costs much less, in the range of 10€) or file both.

Indictments are tried by criminal courts and they do not award damages.

The problem in Greece is that people would file a very large number of indictments either for frivolous reasons, or because they mistakenly thought they would be automatically awarded for damages.

Whether this new measure really helps to reduce the number of cases being brought to the law courts or whether its just meant to bring down crime statistics I can't tell.

Ifigenia

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

I am not sure or very good in this terminology, but I think what police stations provided on the cases I described, were simple certifications/affirmations/βεβαιωσεις , not indictments or sues . I would think is is similar of whatever certificate you take in a local KEP or related local authority, a stamped paper to confirm this or that...(?)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,832 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

As far as i know, a police report ( to use to insurance etc ) is free.

The 100 euros charge comes into play if you want to go to court and want police to create a court file that will go to a lawyer and then to court, etc. Even in this case, a court file is sometimes automatically created if we are talking about road accidents, crimes, wher epolice investigates on its own etc. The 100 euros charge comes into play for civil law sues, where police is asked to investigaate, not criminal law sues. At least as far as i know.

Oxford
Level Contributor
177 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

Ifigenia,

I am not sure I understand. If my wallet or camera is stolen I don't want to "file an indictment for criminal charges", all I want to do is report it to the police and for them to give me a copy of the entry in their log book that I can include in my insurance claim.

What does filing an indictment mean?

Many thanks,

MD

Oxford
Level Contributor
177 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

Nick,

Thanks, I think you have sort of answered my question of Ifigenia!

MD

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
140 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 100 Euros to report a crime to the police?

Not to sound bitter/jaded,however, what good is a police report anyway? Just because I walk into a police station and say I lost my wallet, my camera, etc was stolen, doesn't mean its true.

If all some insurance company needs, is a simple piece of paper, with some words on it, to refund me half (or whatever) of what I reported missing, its no wonder insurance companies, etc charge so much money.

I can get travel insurance and pay for it, by making some false claim. AND get a few euro's in my pocket on top of it all. And if people don't think this occurs, I'm not quite sure what to say to that. Except to say, alot of pickpockets in Athens are happy so many people say, "It won't happen to me."