We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omonia - Is this a safe area

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Omonia - Is this a safe area

We are needing to travel to Athens again for medical treatment again. This time there will be 3 ladies and a toddler. On previous visits we have stayed near the Hilton and also in the Lycabettus Hill area. When looking at hotel booking sites the Omonia area is mainly within our budget, i'm only asking as when you read previous visitors views they stay they felt anxious etc at night. I know you have to beware in any city but we want to stay somewhere nice without looking over our shoulder the whole time. Thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

Then dont stay at Omonia, cause 'looking over your shoulder' is exactly what you ll be doing.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

can you recommend any hotels then in a suitable location?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

Omonia is not a safe area, as evan already told you.

Why not look hotels around Syntagma square, Apollon street is full of them.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

When exactly are you coming? Because if it's within the next month, I may go against my usual insticts and actually recommend Omonia!!

I went through there yesterday and the day before (day and night) and they've REALLY cleaned it up! Seriously, it was sparkling, I have NEVER seen it that clean before. Part of it too is part of the police crackdown on illegal immigrants in the center of Athens.

BUT, like anything in Greece, the key question is: how long will it last? Which is partly why I asked when you will be visiting...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

Thanks for all your replies. We will be arriving 10 sept and will stay for 4 nights, obviously cheaper the better but not to basic. thanks

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

Try the Attalos Hotel on Athinas St. Very central to all the sites you want to see in Athens and very reasonably priced. Not that far from Omnion Sq. but much safer.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

Areas such as Syntagma, Monastiraki and Plaka are the easy answer that suits most tourists. However since your main purpose of your visit is special, maybe you should consider staying somewhere near to where the treatment will take place.

I really hope Omonia will stay 'clean' as many people claim it has gotten lately (havent had the chance to see it with my own eyes yet), but I m somewhat pesimistic about it.

8. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 09:20
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

thanks again, to be honest not to worried about staying near hospital as have two appointments in different areas which i'll get to by taxi. Just want somewhere ok to stay to pass the time/sight see and entertain for 3 year old

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
150 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Omonia - Is this a safe area

I would never recommend Omonoia although I confess I haven't been there at all lately. If it is a question of prices, I think there are great bargains in hotels in Metaxourgeio that are right on Karaiskaki sq., extremely close to the metro station. In general, Metaxourgeio is an area I would recommend to avoid at all costs but these particular hotels (e.g. Hotel Apollon or Crystal City) look very nice and they are so very close to the metro that if you avoid venturing out at night and not even think of ever walking to your hotel from anywhere they would not be a horrible cheap option. I have been around Metaxourgeio a lot in the past year (there are some very nice bars and restaurants among the grody illegal brothels and immigrant shops) and from what I remember there was always police presence in the square itself and the area around the metro was safe.

I truly hope you find something nice within your budget in a different area but just wanted to suggest this option. Prices I've seen range from35-40 euro a night with breakfast.