We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are taxis safe in Piraeus?

Portugal
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Are taxis safe in Piraeus?

Hi!

I'll be arriving today at Piraeus port at about 23h30 (I'm travelling with my daughter)

Although the hotel where I'm staying is not far from the port, I have to take a taxi, but a greek guy advised me not to take any of the taxis that are at the port because that might be not safe ("some taxis are not good", he said) and told me to walk till the main street to find a taxi.

Has anyone any information about taxis in Piraeus?

Should I ask the hotel to send me a taxi to the port?

Since this forum seems to be not very active, I'll be posting the same text in Athens forum.

Thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are taxis safe in Piraeus?

Of course they are safe (I've never heard of an...unsafe taxi in Athens),some of the drivers may try to jack up the price but under no circumstances should you pay more than 0.56 euro/kilometer (after midnight tarrif) plus 1 euro starting price.The minimum charge is 2,65 euros

Edited: 23 August 2012, 14:57
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are taxis safe in Piraeus?

Minimum charge with no luggage is 3.16 euros, while charge per km is 68c/km in city limits.

More and updated information on the taxi tarrifs here:

www.aia.gr/pages.asp?pageid=988&langid=2

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
150 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are taxis safe in Piraeus?

I am a woman and take taxis often. I've never had a problem with a taxi in Athens or in Piraeus. Not sure what your Greek friend meant there by unsafe...

Just make sure the driver starts the meter and for your peace of mind you can also ask at the hotel how much they would consider a reasonable price to pay for a ride from the port. If it is minimum charge and single tarif (double begins at midnight) and t he hotel is indeed near you shouldn't pay more than 3,50 - 5,00 Eur for the ride + 1 eur for the port + 40 cents for each piece of heavy luggage. The only difference from getting a taxi in the street will be that they wouldn't be able to charge the 1 euro for the port.

Getting the hotel to send you a taxi might end up costing quite a bit more, it's usually 2-5 extra euros just for the call and also if you are late at all getting out of the boat the guy will start the meter as he is waiting for you and you will pay for that time too.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are taxis safe in Piraeus?

As a friend of mine was robbed of €2000 and had his passport and other items stolen by a taxi driver working out of the airport, you should make sure that the drivers appearance matches his ID card as some taxis are working 24 hour stints using several drivers.

It's extremely unlikely that you'd have a problem but take the same precautions as you would in the company of any other stranger.

5. Re: Are taxis safe in Piraeus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 05:17