We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Airport Connecting Flights

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Athens Airport Connecting Flights

Traveling from Canada on Air Canada flight to Athens with a 90 minute stop over in Athens. Connecting flight is on Aegean airlines to Crete. Do I need to pick up my luggage in Athens or will it go directly to Crete?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Airport Connecting Flights

It depends on what airport you arriving in Crete - Chania or Heraklion. Either way, they should make an announcement on the plane.

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Airport Connecting Flights

I would think the best course of action is to ask your airline.If Air Canada and Aegean are part of the same alliance,you may be able to do it otherwise you would have to collect you luggage and check in again.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,411 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Airport Connecting Flights

Both airlines are Star Alliance members. I would imagine it is possible but check with your travel agent.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Airport Connecting Flights

You will definitely find out at the airport, when checking in in Canada. Never trust the word "assume". Myself, am planing now a trip with an international airline to Crete, and am prepared to retrieve my luggage there, and then check in again for a domestic flight to Athens.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Airport Connecting Flights

Typically they should not get it all the way to Crete because Athens is where you 'll enter Europe / Schengen Zone, so this is where you shall go through passport / customs control.

Nevertheless, with these two carriers both in Star Alliance they may get the luggage all the way to Crete. Typically they should not though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Airport Connecting Flights

I think you need to find out for certain before you leave! Check with the airline. If you do have to retrieve your luggage and check in again, 90 minutes will be cutting it very fine.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 17:16
7. Re: Athens Airport Connecting Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2013, 10:16