We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port of Piraeus to Athens Airport

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
4 posts
Save Topic
Port of Piraeus to Athens Airport

Can anyone advise the best way to getting to the airport as I know the traffic can be horrendous thanks LP

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Port of Piraeus to Athens Airport

There is no more serious traffic in Athens because of the crisis ,the unemployement (with 1/4 of the local workforce out of a job less people move to and from work) and the extremely high price of gas (almost 2 euros per liter) .Especially between the port and the airport there never was serious traffic since you don't go through the city anyway.

Fastest and most expensive way would be a taxi (30-40 minutes ,50 euros).

The X-96 bus is the cheapest (5 euros) and longest (90 minutes) .

You can also take the green line metro to Monastiraki and than change to the blue line metro all the way to the airport (8 euros,60 minutes total time),the trains of the blue line to the airport pass every 30 minutes.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 14:28
Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,899 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port of Piraeus to Athens Airport

My preferred option by far is the X96, provided of course you have time on your side.

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Port of Piraeus to Athens Airport

In my experience the X 96 bus is busy from the port when ferries arrive and if you are not at the terminus stop at gate 1 but further around at gate 7 the busses may be full and not let any more passengers on. This has happened to me!

I prefer the Metro from port to airport (but I prefer bus in the other direction airport to port)

Hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Port of Piraeus to Athens Airport

I don't remember the last time I found "horrendous" traffic in Athens, for the reasons outlined above by Horse N and also due to the very efficient public transport system.

The best transport option for you will depend on the day/time of travel and how much time you have at your disposal, so perhaps give us a bit more info and we could give you a more specific answer.

(and ditch the guidebook that talks of horrendous traffic, it's out of date)

5. Re: Port of Piraeus to Athens Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2013, 10:16