We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegina Day Trip

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Aegina Day Trip

I was looking at the schedule, and it looks like Piraeus to Aegina is very convenient for a day trip with both ferries and flying dolphins. Should this be a consideration? Would the island make a good day trip to shop, look around, and have a meal? We're looking at Hydra, but the 25 Euro each way fare puts us off a bit. I guess I don't want to encourage a monopoly/price fixing.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aegina Day Trip

Hi,

There are more sailings from Aegina and it is much closer than Hydra. There is a Temple which is well worth a visit and in the south of the island is Perdika, a small village. My father loved the place and I suggest eating there. Do ask your hotel to find out the times of the ferries from Piraeus. Also note that they are cheaper than the Flying Dolphins.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aegina Day Trip

I'm not sure if the price has anything to do with monopoly or price fixing. It is actually a very good price for an hour and a half fast ferry ride. Prices are much higher for comparable distances on other routes with plenty of competition (Paros/Naxos to Santorini - also 1.5 hour - nearly 45 euro pp one way). Aegina is certainly closer to Piraeus and served also by car ferries which are generally much cheaper.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aegina Day Trip

Aegina is perfect for a nice day trip. Many athenians do exactly that. If youre against monopolies and taken advantage of, then you should steer clear off Hydra. Its notoriously overpriced both in accommodation and dining. Moreover, about a month ago residents of Hydra almost started a mini revolution against authorities when the police tried to apprehend a repeat tax-evader restaurant owner!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aegina Day Trip

Another option is Agistri which is close to Aegina:

http://www.agistri.com.gr/intro/?lang=en

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aegina Day Trip

>Prices are much higher for comparable distances on other routes with plenty of competition (Paros/Naxos to Santorini - also 1.5 hour - nearly 45 euro pp one way)<

You are talking about the absolute fixing mafia here,everything to/from Santorini is twice as expensive than anything else in Greece!The SAME ferry that goes to Crete and stops in Santorini has 30% higher prices for the cars getting out in Santorini than the ones getting out at Crete which is much further away!!

The cost between Hydra & Piraeus is a complete robbery too,before the euro a return trip was....8 euros (in drachmas)!!!I still have ticket stabs from that period....:(:(

Edited: 11 September 2012, 16:29
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aegina Day Trip

If you go to Aegina don't miss the Aphaia temple you can go there by bus just on the left as you exit the port,or a taxi,local bus is fine.

Just make an early start boats take 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes,tickets are from 13 euros return to 20 up depending on the boat.

This trip will take a full day if you visit Aphaia temple so be prepared,then you can walk on the town and have a meal there,pistachio nuts salted or not is their local product,you may try some.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aegina Day Trip

Another vote for Aegina. A beautiful island, with one of Greece's best preserved temples, a nice waterfront, good tavernas, not a tourist trap, and easily reached from Athens.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aegina Day Trip

Sounds good. It seems like it would fit our schedule nicely with the frequent sailings to and from. We'll definitely check out the temple...and I LOVE pistachios!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aegina Day Trip

Enjoy, Monday is a good day to travel there !

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aegina Day Trip

www.aegina.com.gr/transportation/?lang=en

Ferries are not that ferquent in autumn,check the timetable the day before you visit.

hellenicseaways.gr/media/drom2012/1509_3110s…