We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

I was just informed by the front desk at the Athens Hilton that the Metro and bus service will be on strike tomorrow. How much time should I allow to get out to the airport? Is there more traffic because more people will be driving? My flight leaves at 12:20. Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

strike has moved to the 20th,show them this link.

www.newsit.gr/default.php…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

Most of the distance will be covered inside high speed the Attiki Road that is a toll road and never has any serious traffic (at least to the Airport).

There will be increased traffic inside the city and up to the point of entering the toll road (any cabie worth its salt will enter the Attiki odos from Kesariani in order to face less traffic,make sure he does that).The Keasarina entrance even through extra heavy traffic is 3 kilometers from the hotel so I'd say that you will need 10-15 minutes to reach it and another 20 minutes once inside the toll road to reach the airport.Add a 20 minute buffer to be absolutely sure.

If it is an international flight the wise thing to do is be at the airport 2 hours before take off for check in.So you will have to be there at 10.20.If you leave the hotel at 9.20 you will be more than fine.

there is a taxi stand in front of the Hilton and the porters automatically hail the next available taxi so you will not have to order a taxi to the airport from your hotel (and pay the extra "rantezvous" charge of 3 euros) .

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

strike is not going to be on the 18th but on the 20th,it is wise to read prior posts before advising.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

Thanks...We're heading to Mykonos tomorrow, so we'll be using the metro or bus.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

I had read earlier posts. I was just reporting what the hotel is telling its guests. I would like to think they know what's going on when they advise their guests...Maybe they don't...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

athenstransport.com/2012/…

there are reports on various sites,strike has moved to the 20th just an hour ago,the hotel must get some newer info on this,this is another article on the strike moving on the 20th.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

jdmckay

the mention was not for you,strike has moved to the 20th and thats official.just go on with your plans and remember that the strike will go on but on the 20th.

Enjoy your trip.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

We're heading out now. I'm going to the Metro stop nearby and see what they know. That would be GREAT for me if the strike is moved to the 20th. I'll be traveling again on the 23,27, and 28th so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

Good,then tell your hotel to get more info on this matter next time,it is very important to all visitors.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strike Sept. 18, Tuesday

As I was walking out of the hotel, the clerk hailed me over and said the strike is Thursday, not Tuesday. I'm glad he was concientious enough to seek me out to tell me. We'll take the X-95 bus to the airport tomorrow instead of the metro. The bus location is about 50 meters from the front door. I won't have to dodge traffic to get to the Metro.