We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice for a beginner, please!

Toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
advice for a beginner, please!

Hi, I am travelling to Greece in August with a friend and we are trying to stick to a budget. We arrive back in Athens from Santorini by ferry around midnight, and we have a flight out of Athens International Airport at 8 am the next morning (probably need to check in around 6am?). Which will end up being cheaper and/or more convenient: checking into a hotel near the port and taking a taxi the next morning to the airport or taking a taxi to one of the hotels near the airport and another taxi/shuttle to the airport the next morning. If the latter, which hotel would be cheap and convenient?

Thank you so much for any advice you might be able to share with me.

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Shropshire England
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advice for a beginner, please!

Hi Michelle

As you have little time between ferry and flight I would be tempted to go to a resturant near the port, there is a nice one in Gounari next to Acropole Hotel, 5 min walk from the ferry, then get the E96 bus to the airport later and relax there until your flight.

You would save the cost of a hotel which you would be in for only about 4 hours sleep, catch up on the long flight home. Alternatively go straight to airport. Bus stop is next to the port gate.

Mikri

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice for a beginner, please!

Mikri is right on the path.

If i was on a budget and had such a short interval i 'd spend my every last cent and minute in Athens downtown. I 'd take a bus downtown Athens for a last drink in Monastiraki - Plaka and then i 'd take the bus to the airport.

If you book a hotel you 'll arive there no earlier than 00.30 and have to awake no later than 04.30.

Low budget hotels are not available in the general airport area. So, anyway, if you are planning to check in a hotel room , it should be either in Piraeus - port area, or downtown Athens.

If you are planning to stick on a budget, definitely take the bus to the airport, on either case. It is just 3.00, safe all the time and really really quick during early hours.