We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

Bangalore District...
1 post
Save Topic
Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

We are taking a cruise to Greece & Turkey - & we will be in athens next week - as i haven't seen any recents issues i assume its safe now. But worth a check - :-)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

Perception is reality indeed.

What you call a riot, i call it a police riot.

What you call injury, i call it police violence :)

No one will deny your numbers. They are absolutely true.

The 3 casualties in 2010 are indeed relevant to what we are talking. The 1 + 1 in 2011 and 2012 not really. They were a result of stress during the demonstrations but, as cynical as it may sound ( it's not ) we have this kind of losses in a stressful football game.

The 3 2010 casualties are absolutely related to what we are talking though; and it's a huge shame no one has been caught for the attack, nor one has been punished for the firesafety regulations fail that at the final staged led to the event.

No one is trying to hide under a rock. Everyone certainly knows Athens is going from time to time through big and possibly violent demonstrations. Riot or police riot really is not what matters indeed.

I still feel safer in Athens than NYC though :) Perception is not reality most of the times.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

You still don't know what you are talking about...

>May 5, 2010 3 deaths<

This did not happen during a protest and of course not IN THE STREET,it was the unfortunate result of a fire in a bank (set by rioters who threw a Molotov cocktail,the bank did not follow the evacuation procedures neither had any contingency plans as it should),by reading your post people will think that people ...died in the street after a clash w/ police/rioters

>Oct 20, 2011 1 death

April 4, 2012 1 death<

Both of these deaths were HEART ATTACKS from protestors that were having serious health problems but chose to demonstrate again they were NOT the result of a clash,

Athens is far from the best city in the world (in fact it has a low quality of life for its inhabitants,extremely high cost of living,pollution,a hectic pace of life,noise and outside the city center it is an ugly architectural disaster) but it is also maybe the safest city in Europe (apart from petty crime and pickpocketing that happens everywhere) ,it is neither Damascus nor Cambul as you present it...

Edited: 12 November 2012, 16:55
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

One was a hear attack, the other was a heart failure to be accurate.

The injuries you refer were actually victims of extreme police violence, not that honoring situation for police forces in Greece really.

Situation is reverse really and you have mixed up the good guys with the bad :)

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

and talking about perception, reality, stereotyping and dumbness, you may want to see this short video:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

The Taxi's or private guides are not public servants...so, not a problem.

And, as one of the people above said...call the hotel for a private car if there is a strike and can not get a taxi.

It is a large, large city. And, fabulous!

Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

Hi..all I can say is that after visiting Athens last week is that at no time did I feel threatened or worried about my safety.

We walked round the city till bout 2300 and felt as safe as anything and used the metro again with no worries.

Don't let the media or reports put you off visiting..

New York
Level Contributor
128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

Just visited Athens for several days in late October - my eighth visit. There were no demonstrations when I was there. If you are worried about running into a protest, avoid the Syntagma Square area. The Parthenon, New Acropolis Museum are many blocks away and you won't be aware that any action is going on. I had a great time. Ate at Strofi and Filistron Restaurants and stayed at the Philippos Hotel near the New Acropolis Museum - a great value in a really convenient hotel. The media have a job to do but sometimes blow demonstrations out of all proportion.

Mentioned in this post
Parthenon
Parthenon
12,336 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Philippos Hotel
Philippos Hotel
1,134 Reviews
Athens, Greece
38. Re: Is it Safe now to Visit Athens Nov 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2013, 10:15