We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Austin
9 posts
Save Topic
Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Does anyone know of any Ferry companies I can take to Santorini from Athens preferably over night. I need it to be overnight because I am working on a tight schedule and rather not fly.

Also I will be arriving in Athens on January 6th which is a holiday called Epiphany. Will ferry's be closed on this day? Will most businesses and attractions be closed as well?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Check greeceferries.com. I'm not sure if the schedule is out for January yet or if there is an overnight that time of year. I took Blue Star and they were great. If you are on a tight schedule you should strongly consider flying.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

There are no overnight ferries to Santorini, there are to other islands e.g. all daily ferries to Crete are overnight.

It will be the usual 07:25 Bluestar ferry to Santorini. Schedules seem to run until end of Dec. Safe assumption is that will continue and definately no overnight ferry.

Austin
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Okay thank you. Any knowledge on this holiday and how it affects business in Athens on January 6th?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Apart from the BLue Star there should also be ANEK two days a week (Mon&Fri). The one on Fridays is sort of 'overnight' as it departs Piraeus at 18:00 and arrives in Santorini at 02:40

…anek.gr/anek_prod/…Brochures_300_en.pdf

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Hey and welcome u215114:-) As far as your inquiry on Epiphany.. would start a new post in the Athens forum titled 'Epiphany on the 6th'..something to the like.. for better exposure where the locals can easier 'find' you and help out;-)

FWIW, have you checked out www.olympiciar.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ for the quick flight over?! The latter oftentimes has some great deals to rival ferry cost.. sign up for both email alerts now;-) Happy planning.. and EnjOY!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

What a strange time of the year to visit Santorini. You must have a very good reason.

Edited: 12 November 2012, 12:08
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

I would wholeheartedly not recommend the ferry if you can avoid it, especially since you are on a tight schedule, as the ferry ride is pretty long. Aegean air often has flights to Santorini from Athens for 25 euros, which is very similar in price to the cost of the ferry.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,029 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Both Aegean and Olympic have special offers from time to time. Sign up for their newsletters.

Austin
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Great Recommendations I was thinking it would be very expensive but if I could fly there for the same price seems like a better deal. I guess it is poor timing on my part wanting to go to Santorini during the winter.

From my understanding business is limited but not completely shut down on the island in January right?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens to Santorini-Ferry

Glad we could help;-) FWIW, few isles totally close down.. if any! There is usually a small population that resides year-round so chances are you'll find the most activity, etc., at the isle's Capital in Fira (Thira;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!