We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend break - February 2013 - Athens

Sandbach, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend break - February 2013 - Athens

Looking for a european wekend break in February. Athens is one of my options and I would like to know from locals what Athens is like in that month; incuding weather, temperatue, bars etc

Thanks, Andy

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend break - February 2013 - Athens

Hi Andy. February is a highly unpredictable month regarding weather and temperatures in Athens. It can range from 0 to 20 deg Celcius and from snowy and cold to sunny and warm. There have been Februaries with snow (rare, but has happened) and others with relatively nice weather of 15-20degC. The higher chances are that it will be 5 to 15 deg.C.

In any case, there is so much to see and do in Athens, outdoors and indoors, that you could easily fill a week, let alone a weekend. When the days come near to your arrival you can check the forecast and plan your activities accordingly .

Regarding bars, you can never go wrong with Gazi area. It is directly at Kerameikos metro station and it is full of bars, clubs and restaurants. I guess you would like to get accomodation at the center, so it will be very convenient go to out in Gazi. There are however also bars in Plaka, Monastiraki and Karitsi sq as well.

For more detailed advice, please come back with more specific questions on what you are interested in.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,095 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend break - February 2013 - Athens

Good choice Andrew!

I spent a long weekend in Athens in early March 2011. Assume you are doing the EasyJet flights from Manchester Thurs to Sun? The temperature was very agreeable for walking around - I just wore a zip up fleece all the time, but did sometimes take it off to carry as we were lucky with sunshine. Of course my friends who live there were muffled up to the eyeballs - not as hardy as us cold north of Englanders! We also carried lightweight waterproofs - against the possibility of rain or even just to be an extra windproof layer - but never wore them.

It was a great time to visit as it was not too crowded at the main sites & walking around was not too exhausting as it would be in hot weather. The only slightly downside was of course it goes dark quite early (seems to drop much more quickly then here in UK) so you need to be out & about in the morning to fit in everything outdoors, then perhaps do the museums when dusk falls & it gets cooler or if it rains.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend break - February 2013 - Athens

Hey and welcome Andy:-) If it weren't such a trek for me to get there for a weekend, I'd surely go;-) I've spend time in Athens in Jan as well as Feb.. and as stated, can go either way but it never gets too cold in comparison to what I'm used to;-) Head out.. and EnjoY!

4. Re: Weekend break - February 2013 - Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 14:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor