We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Hi:

We will be coming to Athens in May. Pls recommend best way to

come to the center of the city from the airport (ATH).

We do not mind Metro if it is not crowded to carry luggage. Is it advisable to take Metro.?

Can we buy two days Metro/Bus day pass for two days? If yes, where can we purchase? Airport or at the Metro station at the airport?

We are thinking to stay either at Best Western or Novotel. Which one should we consider? I read that Novotol is little out of way and Best Western is not in a good area.

Your expert advise will be appreciated.

Vinod

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Wrong Forum. Post in the "Athens" forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189400-i194-Ath…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Hi Vinod,

Welcome to the forums.

Just to let you know that this forum is for assistance in using the site/features and "how-do-I" types of questions.

Regards,

L4

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Hi SMILEY36,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question on the TripAdvisor Support Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Athens, Greece forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,417 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Hi Vinod,

You have achoice of transport to the centre of Athens, metro, bus or taxi, but as to which one is best, or easiest, can depend on where you stay.

Novotel is not the best choice of area at all & you say the other one you are looking at is Best Western, but which one? There is more than one Best western in Athens.

If you give us an idea of your budget per night, in euros, we can suggest some places that are in good, safe & convenient areas

CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Hi Yiassas:

Thank you for taking time to respond.

My budget is about $75 -$90/ day for two people inclusive of breakfast.

and should be near the Metro so we can visit all the sites in the Metropolitan area. Clean, A/C with safe box, wifi and good breafast is desirable. Are street maps available at the airport?

Can I buy two days Metro/Bus pass to visit the sites? . Can I buy at the Airport so I can use Metro from Airport. After two days stay on my own we are joining Insight Tours to travel around Greece. Insight tour will put us in Hotel Divani Carvel. So, if you suggest any hotel in my price range near that area will be ideal. I think Hotel Divani Carvel is in the Central area.

Best Western I was thinking was Best Western, IIssyse area near the National Museum.

I think Taxi from Airport to the center is around 35 Euros. I do not mind Metro if we can carry our luggage in Metro. Our arrival is on Sunday, at noon

from Istanbul.

Thank you for your advise.

Regards.

Vinod

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,417 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

If you stay more centrally than your first choices you won't need the metro much once you are in the city as most sites are within walking distance in a relatively small area, much of it pedestrianised.

From the airport the bus to Syntagma Square is 5 euros per person, the metro is 8 euros (14 for 2 people) & a taxi is indeed 35 euros flat rate to a central zone aia.gr/UserFiles/…153010_daktilios.pdf The Best Western Ilisia is right on the border of that zone & not far from the Divani Caravel. Coming from the airport on the metro you can get off at either Meg Mousikis or Evangelismos if you choose the Ilisia.

I would forget the Novotel, it is bad choice for what you have described (a long way from the Divani Caravel) & outside the airport taxi zone.

Take a look through booking.com, venere.com etc for other hotels in your price range in the areas of Syntagma, Makrigianni (Acropolis), Plaka & Monastiraki.

I always stay on a budget & have reviewed most hotels I've used (17), so you can start there to make a choice, all are central (except Blue Sky), in safe locations & convenient for the sites & transport. It just depends on which come out at the right price for your exact dates. Once you have checked this out come back with the options & ask me which are the better hotels as some are definitely nicer than others if you can get them at the right price!

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-reviews/Yiassas

You can get an city map at the airport, along with other info leaflets, most hotels have them at reception too.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 15:39
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Hey and welcome SMILEY36:-) Great input from Yiassas as always;-) FWIW, sounds like you'll have some luggage with you.. the metro is a good bet in that it's a straight run to the Center.. takes about 40 min.. it's empty when you board at the airprot but does fill up pretty quickly as you approach the City center;-) The express bus X95 is a great way to avoid the crowds.. super easy right outside arrivals.. in front of the cab lines.. I use it all the time now.. best deal around for ony 5E:-) Although it's traffic dependent, it usually averages out to about same as metro to get to Syntagma Square.. Athens central hub.. great locale and walking distance to most you'll want to take in.. including Plaka and Monasteraki areas.. as mentioned, all blending/merging at some point.. and lots pedestrianized;-) Take a look at Yiassa's hotel reviews and see what you think;-) Happy planning.. and EnjOY!

CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Hi Litsa:

Thank you for the Bus info. Can we travel with luggage in the bus? I am assuming that there will be a place to put the luggage. Also do you have any suggestions regarding hotels since you have been there a few times per your note?

Can I buy two days Metro/Bus pass to go more places which are not as easy as near by sites? If yes, can I buy at the ariport and start using it in the X95 bus to arrive in the city?

Thanks.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Check out the hotels that Yiassas has suggested- she definitely knows her hotels in Athens- I wouldn't hesitate to take her advice.

No problem taking luggage on the bus- plenty of space for them.

You really don't need to buy a metro/bus pass. All of the sites that you'll want to see are in a pretty small area.

Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens airport transfer and hotel stay

Hi,

If you arrive at ATH at night,

take the bus outside going to Syntagma. That is the last stop and you won't get lost because the bus stops there. Depending on where you're staying, if you are going to an accommodation near the Acropolis, it will be less of a headache to take a cab from Syntagma. I think you can buy Metro tickets good for two days. You have to check where Novotel is and if you're not used to Europe like I am, my point of reference is always the Syntagma. You have to check the location of your hotel from the Syntagma as this might not work if you'll stay too far. Greece is one of my favorite destination. Either I'm just lucky that the strangers I meet are nice or the Greeks are really nice people but a lot of people are just so willing to provide you information if you get lost.

Taxis charge double premium at night and that's legal rate so don't take a cab from the airport to the city. My family and I took the express bus and we hauled our luggage in the bus, no problem. The bus got filled as it approached the city center. The streets are quite dim at night and street signs are glued onto the walls of building situated on intersections. If you're arriving during the day, you got no problem. The Greeks, I find are peaceful, friendly people and except for a few outlaws, the people are really good to tourist. Enjoy Greece.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 03:37