We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas in Athens?

World
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safe areas in Athens?

Hello! I'm going to Athens in Fabruary and I want to stay in a safe hotel in a safe area, if that's possible. Last time I was in Athens I stayed at Athos Hotel, and my room got robbed. I don't want this to happen again, so I'm looking for a safe hotel in safe surroundings in walking distance from Monastiraki and Plaka. Any suggestions?

Level Contributor
51 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

ok thanks for the advice, I will

check as soon as we get there, though is it to long to walk to the center or

main points of the city? we don't mind walking, Jisto to enjoy the city more, I'm

from Mexico city and I'm used to big cities!! :) have a nice day!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

it is a 30 minute walk to Acropolis,i dont think you can do this all the time,maybe once.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

Hi,

Personally I am not overly worried about where I stay in Athens, but I am travelling with two first time travellers, and the hotel that I have suggested has some reviews about it being in a dodgy area, with drugs and slums and junkies shooting up in the middle of the day. The hotel is the Epidavros Hotel at 14, Koumoundourou str, Athens, which doesn't seem very far from Athinas St. It's up near the top end towards Omonia, which Alabastron has said is quite safe, although not so salubrious. I like what Alabastron has said about the Athinas St area, it is just what we are looking for, and would love to stay at the Attalos, but it is above our budget. We are all females aged 25, 31 and 49, we work in bars so know how to handle unwanted attention, and come from a fairly large town where drugs are a common problem, but it would be nice to get away from that on holidays. I just want to assure the other two that we wont be murdered by junkies while out enjoying a stroll and having a few drinks!!!! *hahahaha!* Thanks :)

Edited: 08 May 2014, 05:34
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

the hotel is fine,the area is not,get the advice and find another hotel,or move to and out of it by taxi at night.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

Hmm, ok thanks, I am glad I asked. And sorry rimshot, I am a vegetarian! But I'll pass that info on to my girlfriends :D

How about the Athinaikon at 40 Evripidou Street, Psiri, Athens. It's very close to the Attalos Hotel. Can we walk around at night safely here? We are on a pretty tight budget, but if we can't walk around safely, we should probably pay that little bit more and find somewhere else.

46. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 15:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

ok, glad i didnt book that one. well, the 49 year old will not even a little bit consider a hostel, the private rooms are still above our price range. i did find Marble House on Anastasiou Zinni 35, Koukaki which is in our budget on our dates. since you have suggested koukaki then im assuming it is a safer area :) and the reviews on tripadvisor are pretty good! i'm going to go ahead and book it now. i really appreciate your help and glad we didnt end up in a not so fun part of town!

Edited: 09 May 2014, 16:58
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

Koukaki is perfectly safe like all the areas in Athens w/ the sad exception of the backstreets of Omonia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Safe areas in Athens?

Hi broken_shadows.

I'm sorry I missed your question about the Epidavros (but glad my thoughts on Athinas Street resonated with you). I'd have said immediately that the area wouldn't be a good choice for your friends, or even for you: you wouldn't have been comfortable there at night. I'd have said that even after my last visit three or four years ago, and I gather it is worse now. Athinas is fine: a wide, well-lit thoroughfare with lots of shops and lots going on. The side streets north and west of the Attalos, getting towards and around Omonia, are a very different story.

I would definitely take your friends to Telis, though. You can eat huge Greek salads while they devour their huge portions of delicious brizoles. It's THE place in Athens for pork chops, always on my list.

Telis is rather distant from Koukaki, though, so maybe it wouldn't be convenient. Koukaki is absolutely fine. Enjoy Athens.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 08:32