We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Athens to Denver this May

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
Flights from Athens to Denver this May

I am planning a trip to Greece at the end of May with my daughter. I am finding flights from about $1500-$1600. Is this the price I should expect to pay, or will they perhaps come down sooner to our departure. I'm not sure best timeframe to purchase international flights.

Also, US Airways has the best price. Has anyone flown internationally with them? I'm reading some horrific reviews!

Thanks in advance for your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

Hey and welcome erin623:-) Some good sites to keep an eye out on are www.kayak.com/ and although I've never used it, heard skyscanner is pretty good too;-) I've never flown out of Philly on USAir since I live in NYC area and usually book whoever does the direct.. as of recent, it's Delta and no complaints there;-) I haven't looked up what equipment USAir uses but have heard that it's a pretty tight fit there, lol!! It's a long haul as well on the trans direct.. even longer coming back.. you're looking at about 10-11 hours.. something to consider since that's a long time to be squished;-))

When to book is purely a personal call.. I've booked up to a couple of days ahead and found great deals in late August.. carriers look to fill up seats so you can sometimes nail some great deals.. no guarantees though! Am guessing you're a bit flexible and playing around with the dates?;-) If you found something and are comfortable with it at this point.. and don't mind 'looking back'.. then would go with it! Again, it's purely a personal call.. what you're comfortable with.. fares can indeed go down a bit.. but they can also go up.. lots of factors in play;-) Best .. and EnJOY!

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

Hi Litsa! Thanks for the info. Yes, crowded seating is one thing I've heard about US Airways...among others..I will keep that in mind when I book my flight.

I haven't traveled to Europe in over 15 years, so I wasn't sure what a good price for flights are these days. I think I'll hold out for a little while longer and see what happens!

Cheers!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

My pleasure erin623:-) Wish I could help more.. there's no difinitive answer to this, lol!! Everyone's dilemna at some point.. book now? wait till later? We all go through it;-) For me personally, since I normally don't plan too far ahead anyway, I wait it out pretty late.. sometimes I pay less.. sometimes more.. it works for me.. go with your gut.. you'll know when 'the time is right';-) Keep us posted.. keep enJOYin'!

concord nh
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

I just did a Denver/Athens flight on Trip Advisor and the figures you quoted are about right. We've flown to Athens from Boston in Oct. 2010 for $800/ticket and Oct. 2011 for $862/ticket. Obviously Denver is a longer flight . . . so I guess that price is about as good as you may find. However, we found booking about 3 months ahead of time gives you a better price. Of course in May prices for flights to Greece start going up and come down dramatically for Oct. (from Boston, anyway) It all depends on the height of the tourist season also.

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

Thanks for the help. Are there any airlines I should avoid..or airlines that I should try to book with? Also, I've read not to get a connection at CDG that is less than 2-4 hours..is that true? I've looked at flights with just an hour connection at CDG.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

You're welcome erin623:-) I agree, if possible avoid CDG.. especially with an hour ~ yikes.. no way;-)) I wouldn't consider a transfer there with anything less than 4 hours regardless if it's with AF on a legal connection;-)

My experiene is out of NYC area.. best so far short of a direct is Swiss via Zurich or Geneva! www.swiss.com/ You're coming all the way from Denver so your choices will vary.. but found transferring through Switzerland a good experience.. timely;-) FWIW, I've traveled through a number of European capitals en route.. other than Paris, I also try to avoid London although I've transited through there, preferred the airports in Germany.. Frankfurt can be frentic but not so bad.. Duffeldorf also works;-) Lot's of folks don't like Alitalia.. I've never had a problem and have transferred through both Rome and Milan numeous times.. but again, given a choice, my pref is always Swiss;-) Keep us posted.. keep enJOYin'!

concord nh
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

We've flown Alitalia . . . once on a connecting flight a 30 minute delay. On our last trip to Athens this past Oct. we paid extra to book non-stop from Boston and at a very good price. However, we had a 3-1/2 hr. wait in the plane due to a tire "problem". So a 8 hour trip ended up being 11-1/2 hrs! We won't take Alitalia again. We've had good luck with Air France & Delta.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

Unfortunately, Delta is the only choice these days for a direct (along with USAir out of Philly).. they could sure use some competition, but I agree, no problems with Delta except for that horrendous terminal at JFK.. disgrace;-) As far as Alitalia, sounds like a mechanical occured.. no avoiding that either unfortunately;-) I know I've sat on the tarmac at JFK for longer than that due to congestion/backups ~ ugh! Continental (now United) I thought was great out of EWR on the direct a few years back.. but they discontinued that as well! IMO, nothing is as good as good old Olympic on the trans.. reliable and big 747's that did the run in 7.5-8 hours.. it was great.. miss it.. even though they started with those airbuses at the tail end that took longer;-) EnJOYin'!

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

I used to agree with you about CDG, but the last few times we've been through there it was a breeze. Actually last year was the first time that we didn't have to take a bus to/from the plane on the tarmac. Year before we had a 1.5 hour layover and they actually met us at the gate and put us in a car and drove us out to the plane. They've been doing major construction for years, but it looks pretty much done now.

10. Re: Flights from Athens to Denver this May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 05:17