We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Customs and Immigration if traveling from the EU

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Humble, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport Customs and Immigration if traveling from the EU

If i'm traveling from Frankfurt, Germany into Athens, is there a immigration and customs check that everyone has to go through? Or Does the EU have some sort of agreement?

Also, how long does it usually take to go through the immigration and customs section. I'm trying to determine if my family is able to do a half day in Athens and back.

Thanks in advance!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Customs and Immigration if traveling from the EU

Germany and Greece are both in the Schengen area so there is no customs and immigration on flights between these two countries

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Customs and Immigration if traveling from the EU

More precisely, both countries are in the Schengen area so there is no Immigration; and both are in the EU so there is no Customs.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Customs and Immigration if traveling from the EU

Being in the EU/Schengen does not mean there is no customs. If you have nothing to declare clearing customs involves just walking through the Nothing to declare/ Arrivals from EU/EEA exit but you still can be stopped at all EU airports for random customs check regardless whether you are travelling from another EU, Schengen or non-EU non-Schengen country.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Customs and Immigration if traveling from the EU

Hey and welcome AJinHumble:-) If you are arriving from the States to FRA, you'll go through formalities there.. flying into Athens it'll be 'domestic' so no passport control! If you've got luggage, you'll of course have to allot for that.. and as mentioned re customs.. with nothing to declare you just walk through the 'green' door;-) Nonetheless, I'm a little confused since you say you're looking to get half a day in Athens out of this?! Are you looking to fly into Athens for a day from FRA?;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

5. Re: Airport Customs and Immigration if traveling from the EU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:18