We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry trips leaving from PIRAEUS/RAFINA

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Ferry trips leaving from PIRAEUS/RAFINA

Hi

We are going to Athens 20th April until the 28th April and are staying at Hapimag Athens.

I was looking at the ferry trips to possibly Mykonos/Ios/Santorini. Is this the only way to get there? I noticed the ferry trip is about 6-8 hours each way. I just am not sure if I want to spend 2 of my days catching the ferry to the islands. I am looking for the most economical way to get there. If anyone has other options please let me know. Otherwise which island is closer to these ports but worth a visit and will not take most of the day to get there and back.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Natasha

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry trips leaving from PIRAEUS/RAFINA

Hi Natasha,

and welcome to the forum.

For Mykonos and Santorini both Olympic Air and Aegean have daily flights. From time to time they do special offers - sign up for their newsletters:

https://www.olympicair.com/en/Sitemap

http://en.aegeanair.com/

Here you can find an overview of domestic flights from Athens to the islands:

www.aia.gr/flight_schedule/domestic_en.htm

Click on your destination and you will find both which airlines are serving the destination as well as their schedules.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry trips leaving from PIRAEUS/RAFINA

Flying might save a little time, but probably not much, given the time one spends travelling to and from airports, and getting through them. Athens airport is fairly painless and straightforward, but even so...

You asked about islands closer to Athens. Aegina is always a good choice. A short journey (about 1.5 hours on a ferry, less on the hydrofoil) takes you to a very Greek island, with a nice port, good eating places, and one of the finest and best-preserved temples in Greece.

Aegistri, Poros, and Hydra would also be possibilities for day trips that you could consider.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry trips leaving from PIRAEUS/RAFINA

First consider what your expectations for the islands are. If you want to see Mykonos, Ios, or Santorini during off season when they are still very quiet, April would be a good time to visit. If you are expecting beach time or nightlife, it will still be cool and the clubs not yet open for the summer.

I like Alabastron's idea of visiting Aegina.

ohio
Level Contributor
434 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry trips leaving from PIRAEUS/RAFINA

Hi Natasha,

My husband and I are going in June. We are going to take a ferry from Athens TO Santorini and I bought tickets to fly back to Athens the day before our flight home. (didn't want to take any chances of weather cancellations, strikes, whatever with the ferry coming back)

5. Re: Ferry trips leaving from PIRAEUS/RAFINA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 05:15