We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying istanbul to santorini - customs in Athens?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, California
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
flying istanbul to santorini - customs in Athens?

We are starting our trip in Istanbul and planning to fly from Istanbul to Santorini by way of Athens via Aegean. I am able to buy it as a one-way ticket on Aegean with an almost 2 hr layover in Athens but I wasn't sure if we'd be stuck in customs in Athens or do they have customs in Santorini?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flying istanbul to santorini - customs in Athens?

The way Schengen airports (Athens, Santorini) are organized is that they have customs after baggage claim and just before you can exit the airport. I understand that you do not have to re-check your luggage in Athens, so customs for you will be in Santorini. What will be in Athens is passport control - they will not let you transfer from non-Schengen flight (Istanbul-Athens) onto intra-Schengen one (Athens-Santorini) without checking your immigration status.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying istanbul to santorini - customs in Athens?

I would be very careful to ask the cabin attendants if the baggage will be unloaded in Athens or not. Sometimes, and thats the problem - not every time, you have to collect and bring your lugggage through customs control even if it is tagged direct to the final destination. You will arrive Santorini on a domestic flight and no-one can separate you from ordinary domestic passengers. Anyway, 2 hours is plenty connection time in Athens.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flying istanbul to santorini - customs in Athens?

If you have nothing to declare, clearing customs means walking through Nothing to declare/Green exit whether you claim your bags in Athens or Santorini. Yes, Schengen and non-Schengen passengers are not separated with regards to customs but that does not relieve you of the responsibility of declaring goods that need to be declared by law. There are customs in Santorini.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying istanbul to santorini - customs in Athens?

Oops I meant immigration control. I am used to the long lines at LAX when I return home from international travels and I wasn't sure if this would also be the case at Athens (since I'll be coming from Istanbul) or perhaps they'll have a special line for passengers with connecting flights?

5. Re: flying istanbul to santorini - customs in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 05:18