We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
358 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

Hi there,

I have booked a trip to Athens with my wife in late June, for 3 nights. I have come up with a rough itinerary, and would be keen to hear any suggestions/tips!

THURSDAY: flight arrival at 2pm, take a cab to our hotel in Syntagma Square (Grande Bretagne). I assume we would be there by 4pm, and can head out shortly afterwards, to walk around the local area (Plaka, Monastiraki...). Head up to Lycabettus Hill to watch the sunset, and go for dinner afterwards to a nearby taverna - perhaps Oikeio or Filippou.

FRIDAY: Start off with a half day tour using Athens Walking Tours, which will cover key sights around the Acropolis area, including the Acropolis museum. The tour will finish by 2:30pm, after which we could either do more roaming around the Plaka/Monastiraki areas (I want to see Central Market as well), or perhaps visit the Ancient Agora. Head to an upmarket venue for dinner - perhaps Spondi or Funky Gourmet.

SATURDAY: visit the National Archaeological Museum in the morning. In the afternoon, take a tour to Cape Sounion/Poseidon. Once back in Athens, dinner at Tzitzikas & Mermingas.

SUNDAY: take the metro/bus to the airport, for our flight to Santorini at 11:45am.

A few questions:

1) Would we be able to cover the Plaka, Monastiraki and Central Market on Thursday? We would probably have around 3 hours.

2) If we don't manage this, would it be worth finishing it off on Friday, at the expense of visiting Ancient Agora?

3) Regarding museums, given that we are already visiting the Acropolis museum, would we be better off visiting the Archaeological or Benaki museum on Saturday? Keep in mind we are usually the type who don't visit museums, but in Athens it seems that these are key attractions.

4) Any advice on restaurants, would you recommend something different from what I have listed, keeping in mind locations/travel times. None of the restaurants I mentioned have a view, but I figured I could always get a good Acropolis view from our hotel bar before/after dinner (GB Rooftop).

5) Any others suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

PK Travel
Bus Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Athens Free Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Limo Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Archaeology Tours
Athens Walking Tours
Historic Walking Areas, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice

Hey and welcome Ishan23:-) I think you'll find the central areas convenient to get all the sites you're interested in;-) Syntagma, Plaka, Monasteraki areas all merge at some point.. lots of it pedestrianized.. so depending on how long you'll be 'lingering' in any one spot.. you can easily walk around in an afternoon.. blending into the early evening hours;-)

A far as the Mueums go.. if you're not that into them, chances are you can do both in a day;-) Hit the one that opens earliest.. the Nat Archaeologial Museum is huge so depending on how much of it you're looking to take in, would allot a bit more time here.. although the Benaki is allot smaller, it is PACKED with delights.. I love this Museum.. and an easy walk from your magnifient property;-) FWIW, make sure to check out the Museum gift shops.. I find some of the best and unique souvies/gifts are usually found there;-)

Tzitzikas & Mermingas.. which was recommended to me by the wonderful locals.. has been my 'must go to' when in Athens at least once;-) Right around the corner from the Square where the large post office is located.. up a few block and across the Street from the Pan Hotel;-) Check out their special salad and masticha chicken dish.. and DO share one of each.. more than enough with spare to take away, lol;-)

You're staying at the cream of crop when it comes to hotels.. make sure you head up to the rooftop bar/restaruant (breakfast is served up there as well;-) Go at night and sit outside .. check out the floodlit Akropolis ~ sigh;-) Also, don't miss their rooftop pool at some point.. along with a glass of wine.. or cold frappe at the bar there.. and whatever you do, hit their Spa.. 'nough said;-) Have a blast.. EnJOY!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice

About museums you can take a view here

Benaki museum of Greek civilization

. googleartproject.com/collection/… .

National archaeological museum

. latsis-foundation.org/megazine/… .

Museum of cycladic art

Numismatic-museum

London, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice

Thanks for the suggestions Litsa and aldro10! I think I will keep the schedule a bit flexible, and perhaps substitute the Archaeological Museum with the Benaki Museum, if we want something that won't take up too much time...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice

Our pleasure ishan23:-) Sounds like a plan! Flexibility is a good thing;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

5. Re: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:18