We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

Let me preface this by saying I'm extremely pissed off and this is not a story about pickpockets, rather an actual ABM machine screwing up (in my mind anyways).

Anyways, a couple minutes ago I went to a local ABM machine here in Athens to take out money. I won't mention the bank, but it is a pretty common bank here, and they had an office inside, so it wasn't just a standalone machine. Everything is going along smoothly and as you would expect until the money comes out of the machine. At first, the machine appeared to give 50 euros less than expected. As I'm counting the money I realize I'm missing 50 euros, so I take a look at the money dispenser to ensure that I got everything. I notice that there seems to be a 50 euro bill there kind of lodged backward and not sticking out of the machine. I lift up the cover a little to grab the bill lying there and as soon as I get my fingers on it, the machine sucks the bill back up. I grab the receipt and look at it to find that it states 50 euros more than I actually received.

So as you can expect, I'm pretty annoyed at this point. I'm at a bank that's closed and in a city whose language I don't speak. I saw people still inside the bank so I knocked rather gently. Someone came to the door, but they didn't speak much English, so they went to get someoene who did. She informed me that the system automatically makes sure that it will inform my bank that I did not receive the full amount I took out and this should be corrected within a week. Hesitantly, I say OK, and ask for a card so I know the bank's name. She kindly gives one to me.

I get back to my apartment and immediately check online the transaction to find out that indeed the machine did charge my bank account 50 euros more than I actually received. I call my bank and they tell me that some machines will make sure that they gave out the right amounts and that they need to wait 24 hours to open an investigation. They told me that I should see 50 euros in my bank account within 24 hours, and if I don't, they will open an investigation tomorrow.

Do any of you have any thoughts, or similar experiences with something like this? I'm pretty annoyed at this whole deal. It's not something I like dealing with while traveling as you may expect.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

Yes it should correct itself on your account. It will show the amount requested initially, but the ATM 'knows' it didn't dispense the correct amount & often it will deposit the 50 euros not received automatically back to your account, but with a delay. If for any reason it doesn't do this then your bank can contact & dispute on your behalf & it should then be processed manually by the bank here, as they will have it sitting in an internal account waiting to see where it should be allocated. The ATMs are balanced some, if not all, times when they are replenished & this 50 euros would be over.

Make sure you keep the ATM slip safe as it has the time & date on it which will need to be quoted in any dispute.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 14:56
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
814 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

I could understand your rage if the time period had passed and it still hadn't been corrected. But you said it happened "a couple of minutes ago"...

So stop whining, relax, get back to enjoying your vacation, AND worry about it tomorrow!!!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

Sounds like something that can and does go wrong with any ATM anywhere in the world at any time. Also it sounds as if you have had a perfectly reasonable response from the bank, so I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to post about it here. If this is the worst thing that happens to you while you're travelling, think yourself lucky. Chill,out and enjoy your holiday!

Edited: 02 May 2013, 16:41
Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

I think she was just checking to see if it had ever happen before to somone else. I would be very up set about it myself. Not knowing if you will actually get your money back. Also she may not have that much money left for her vaction. So it would have been nice if you all would have been kinder to her with your words. Just sayin!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

I wasn't unkind, just factual. I spent some years refilling & balancing ATMs & know this does happen occasionally. The usual reason is a slightly crumpled banknote, or a fold on the corner, it then sends it to the reject bin within the ATM, It's not too regular as most notes come from a cash centre where they are deemed ATM quality, but naturally the odd one slips through.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

I am not whining about anything guys. Just stating my experience. If this happened to a lot of people they would be annoyed too. This had never happened to me before and I had not read about it before on any of these forums. Course it could happen anywhere to anyone, it just happened to me while traveling in Athens. I'm a seasoned traveler, and I'm having a good time here in Athens. Not sure why some of you feel the need to write stuff like "I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to post about it here". This is a travel forum. If you don't find anything about the thread interesting then don't reply.

Oh, and by the way, I'm a guy. Thanks to the people who reassured me to a positive outcome. I'm sure it will get resolved soon.

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

Ohhhh Sorry for saying "she"

concord nh
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

Never had any problems with ATMs anywhere in Greece, even on a small island. Always worked fine. I did have a problem in Rome though, but I was able to fix it after pressing all kinds of buttons. There is nothing more scary or frustrating than withdrawing money from an ATM only to find it either isn't working properly or eats your card. Thankfully I never had a problem like that. Just one of those things that happens, so don't think it's a major problem in Greece.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

Things like that happened,last month I was in Hamburg and I withdrew 200 euros from my bank account but the ATM was empty ,I was charged 200 euros though but after 7 days they put the money back to my account.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Terrible ABM withdrawal experience

It's not a major issue anywhere. I've had it happen once or twice in the UK, and as has been said, the ATM "knows" the transactions it's delivered and for how much, and will refund the money to your account, although this will sometimes take 24-48 hours. Just let your bank know and there shouldn't be anything to worry about.