We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

Hi All,

My intention is not to offend anyone, I am sorry if I do that unintentionally.

I know this question has been posed umpteen times but I need to know the current situation in terms of safety and security for Indian/south-asian tourists in Greece specially Athens and Santorini.

Me and my husband are Indians living in Switzerland and we are planning a trip to Greece but we are being put off by the news we came across on tourists being detained and harassed by the police in Athens even after showing their Passports. Most of them were people of colour. Here's one of the links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20958353

We would really love to go to Santorini but we are really very scared. Is there any religion bias there as well? Please let us know what is the current situation there.

You help is very much needed and appreciated, thanks in advance.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

''I know this question has been posed umpteen times but I need to know the current situation in terms of safety and security for Indian/south-Asian tourists in Greece specially Athens and Santorini.''

Yes, this question HAS been posed umpteen times-why should you think the answer you get will be any different? That link to the BBC ''news'' article which you mention appeared on this website months ago: you should be able to find it and read the comments for yourself. I remember that they were generally incredulous and dismissive. You could also go to the Santorini forum: go back as far as you like, then read ALL the questions and answers. I know you won't find ANY reference to danger for tourists, whoever they are and wherever they come from. But if after that you still feel nervous about visiting Greece, then you certainly won't enjoy your visit and you should choose another destination.

hawaii
Level Contributor
561 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

hello

we are a mixed group -several of are party are darker skinned with hawaiian and polynesian heritage traveling to athens and santorini mid-june --we too are concerned but are going for it anyways--will post something on this topic when we get back

best of luck to you if you decide to go to greece

we are going to switzerland as well!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

You'll all be fine. And I'm sure we'll be reading your reviews a few months from now saying how great your time here was. Enjoy the trip! (and stop worrying! :) )

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

It was always safe for tourists of any colour and religion to visit Greece.

Just carry your passports with you at all times, as this is mandatory by Greek law, even for Greek citizens (for Greeks the national ID card is sufficient).

Avoid the dodgy areas around Omonia square (no reason to go there anyways) and you ll be fine.

Athens has always been one of the safest large cities in the world and it still is despite the fearmongering news reports. Even strikes and disruptions in public transportation were lately decreased a lot. 2013 has been quite uneventful so far and there are no signs of this changing.

Enjoy your vacation!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

Not really in response to the OP.. sorry... but wow.. I didn't know it was the law to carry your passport with you at all times! Thanks for the info ( will be there in Oct ).

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

It is the law for all adults to carry legal documentation on them at all times.

For Greeks the national ID card ( which is mandatory to be issued for everyone) is sufficient.

For foreign tourists, passports are used instead.

In case theres a random police check on the street, and someone fails to produce an ID card or passport, the police officer has the right to apprehend and take him to a police station for verification of his personal details.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

Apologies again to the OP but ... is it ok to carry a photocopy of a passport or do you have to have the original document?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

Hello,

First of all thanks a lot for taking the time and replying, means a lot.

If we happen to go to Greece, we will surely carry our legal documents, Passports with us at all times. We are worried because there have been instances when even after showing the Passport people were detained and beaten.

Please see the BBC news link i have provided.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

People should never be beatten or anything of course, and most policemen are decent people. but if a policeman happens to be an a$$hole, he asks twice for passport before you process one and you try to behave as a $marta$$, it is like asking for trouble. It is highly unlikely police will approach any tourist though. You may want to read previous related discussiion here:http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k6027056-Current_situation_in_Athens_Greece-Athens_Attica.html

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Athens safe for Indian tourists right now (in 2013)?

I suppose a photocopy will be enough, but I cannot answer that with certainty.

Regarding the BBC 'news' link, I m very familiar with their story.

I cannot say whether the story is entirely true or whether some aspects of it were exagerated in order to gain views. Truth is that there were numerous fearmongering fully blown out of proportions news stories about Greece recently from British, German and US media. One should take those stories with a pinch of salt.

If you present your passport in a polite manner and cooperate with the police, you ll be fine and on your way a couple of minutes later.

If you try to resist the check, act in a violent or rude way, noone knows how things will end up.

You shouldnt worry much anyways. The chances of a police officer stopping a well dressed (ie, not dressed with rags like illegal imigrants) Indian couple (men on their own, or in groups look more 'suspicious' ) on the street for an ID check is less that 1 % .

Even if that happens, the chances of him apprehending you even after presenting your passports is less than 1 %. So to sum up, dont worry!

Edited: 10 May 2013, 10:22