We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hour stop over with Aegean

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,388 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
6 hour stop over with Aegean

Hi all,

My next trip to Rhodes means a return via Athens (both flights with Aegean) and I'm just considering options at the mo. I should arrive in Athens at 12.00 and depart 18.15 so just over 6 hours excluding check-in, etc. so a couple of questions if all is on time:

I will have already checked in (either via internet or via machine at RHO) for my Athens flight so will I be able to take my suitcase straight to the drop off point on arrival at ATH?

If my suitcase is out of the way then what would you suggest to fill the time, would it be worth rushing into Athens to sit for a while and take in the views, is there an airport hotel with a nice outdoor terrace to relax and enjoy a few hours sunshine?

I have been to Athens before so I don't need to cram in the sights, just thinking of the best way to enjoy my last few hours in Greece... for several months at least.

Bath
Level Contributor
511 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hour stop over with Aegean

We frequently connect through Athens with Aegean, our bags usually go through from departure island to London without pick up in Athens.

In reality, it will be about 4/5 hours, so i.m.o. too short to go into Athens. Is there an afternoon flight from Rhodes on the day you are flying? If there is, maybe you could try and change to a later flight and only have an hour/90min stopover.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hour stop over with Aegean

Hey Marcus C:-) Well, basically you have barely 3 hours to include arrival formalities and most important, if heading into Town, to get BACK to the airport in time.. you'd need to leave by around 4p thereabouts to get there at least an hour prior considering you'll already be ticketed, etc.. There's a Softel smack across the Street from the airport.. the cafe/bar there has lots of outdoor tables/chairs.. nice space.. great for people watching.. they also offer some food/snacks.. I've easily spent and hour or 2 hanging there over a glass or 2 of vino;-) EnJOY!

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hour stop over with Aegean

You could have a leisurely lunch on the sea front at Rafina, regular bus service from the front of the Softel hotel across the road from Arrivals.

republic of scotland
Level Contributor
692 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hour stop over with Aegean

That would be my shout - Rafina. Not actually done it but researched it a wee while back and looks the best bet for a 6 hour gap, especially as a farewell meal. Fresh fish lunch by the sea ? You betcha !

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,388 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hour stop over with Aegean

Thanks for the suggestions folks. So if all goes to plan, It'll be a leisurely lunch by the sea in Rafina and if we're a bit more pushed we have the Sofitel across the road. As I said I've done Athens before and with friends there for the winter, no doubt will again, just wanted to make the most of my last few hours in sunny Greece.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hour stop over with Aegean

Our pleasure Marcus C:-) Have a blast.. always enJOY!

7. Re: 6 hour stop over with Aegean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16