We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8- hour layover in Athens airport

Kansas
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
8- hour layover in Athens airport

We have an 8-hour layover in Athens from 10:15 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. on Monday and don't want to stay in the airport. Any ideas of something nearby to do? We have visited Athens before and seen the major archeological sites. Is there good public transportation from the airport or will we need to take a taxi? I don't remember where the airport is located in relation to the city. We would just like to go somewhere and hangout for a few hours and get out of the airport. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Oh, I should say we are a couple in our 40's traveling without kids. Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

Airport is located NE of the city.

On that time frame, you have the option of doing many things, either spending the time in the airport area but outside the terminal, or going to the center.

1. Airport's commercial area.

That's located a 3 - 4 minutes taxi ride from the terminal. It's 4 department stores which are an IKEA, a general home merchandise shop ( Leroy Merlin ), a cloths outlet and an electronics store. Area can be acessed in a short taxi ride ( will cost appx. 6 - 9 euros each way ) or any airport bus ( X92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ) departing every 5 - 10 minutes from the far right side of the terminal, on a cost of 5 euros per person per ride. Taxi seems the best option to me; get a taxi from the queue ( tell them Airport-IKEA as direction ) and then after you finish your visit ask the customer service desk in IKEA again to call a taxi for you.

Is this a good option? Well, it's not a Greek experience but it's in the airport zone, you can see the airport from there, you can shop or window-shop as much as you can :)

2. Rafina seaport

Get a KTEL bus ( orange bus, they leave from departures level in front of the Sofitel ) and go to this seaside town. It's a small town, you ;ll spend some time having a coffee, lunch, snack break. A leisurely visit. Bus leaves once an hour ( 11.00, 12.15 ), returns once an hour ( 15.20, 16.40 ) and does the trip in 25 minutes. Cost is not high, i 'd estimate a cost under 10 euros per person each way.

3. The Mall.

That's what the title says :) a big mall :) Suburban train ( proastiakos ) leaves from the metro / train station from early morning till late night, at :11, :26, :44. It takes 23 minutes to get to the mall which is right where the station is. Ticket is 8 euros per person or 14 euros for a two-people ticket, per way. Return is at :12, :57, :38, arriving at the airport at :35, :20, :01.

Example,

- take the 11:11 train , arrive at the mall at 11:34am

- return on the 4:12pm, arrive at airport at 4:35pm. That leaves ample time before and after and nearly 5 hours in the mall. Site here: http://tinyurl.com/os4kn85

4. Go to Athens center.

Athens accepts nearly 12 million visitors per year and has a lot more than the sites. On that time fram you can certainly reach the center and get back. I suggest usingt he metro ( leaving every 30 minutes but NOT traffic dependent - trip will take 39 - 44 minutes to any central location ). Cost is again 8 euros per o/w per person, or 14 for a two people ticket. You can visit a museum ( Acropolis Museum? Benaki Museum? ) or go shopping, or go dining, options are infinite. Metro leaves at :03 and :33, arriving at the center appx. 40 minutes later / metro returns from central stations at similar timings, Syndagma station is at :04 and :34, previous station a couple minutes earlier and so on.

Example:

- Take the 11:03am metro, arriving at Monastiraki at 11:44am

- return from Syndagma or Monastiraki or some Blue line station at 4:04pm, arriving at airport at 4:44pm.

-----------------------------

With 8 hours timeframe ( shrink this to 6 if you subtract arrival / check in time ) you can certainly reach the center.

In any hour you have 5 options combined on the metro and suburban to get out of the airport on a non - traffic dependent mean, practically one option every 10 - 12 minutes :) Not bad :) So, you can quickly reach areas far located from the airport / then you have the Rafina option too and even the option of not leaving the airport but staying near and do shopping :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

Map here: http://goo.gl/maps/mzuXV

More: If you take a taxi from the airport to the center cost is flat, 35 euros per cab per ride, including all surcharges, tolls, fees blah blah blah.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

Hey and welcome ksSuzanne:-) Nick covered it all.. and fwiw, there is always something new to see in Athens;-) If you haven't taken the funicular (teleferik) ride up Lycabettus Hill, may just fit the bill?;-) You can also have a drink/snack up there as well;-)

As far as the Museums, believe The New Akropolis Museum in closed on Mondays?;-) I know the Benaki is open since it's closed on Tuesdays.. at least that was the schedule in previous years;-) Bottom line, if coming from the States after at least a couple of flight changes.. chances are you'll be lagged and may not want to wander into a major metropolis with rubber legs and a fuzz brain.. Rafina may just be the ticket being close by and on the water;-) Best.. and enJOY!

Kansas
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

Thank you so much. I think we will choose Rafina!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

Our pleasure KsSuzanne:-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

We are looking to potentially fill a layover next year of 8 hours & have been looking at the possibility of Athens Zoo. Anyone done this - looks like a short taxi ride from the airport - was it worthwhile? I have never been big on ogling at captive animals, but if it is the right sort of environment that is concerned with conservation above entertainment value then I can accept that.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

I was in a similar situation and decided to make the trip. Here you can get an idea of Attica Zoo:

http://tinyurl.com/dkdzzo

It is especially known for the birds - you walk into dedicated houses for birds in special designed environment for their part of the world, and the birds fly freely around.

There is also a restaurant for refreshments.

I found it entertaining for a couple of hours. A taxi is recommended - it is hard to get there by public transport.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

Thanks G-T. i think if you found it worthwhile then I would also enjoy a visit. I had read that the birds were a particular "attraction" - providing some good photo opportuntites. Taxi did sound the best way - quick & no worries about getting on the wrong bus!! Thanks for your input.

BTW - love the thoughful looking giraffe portrait!!

Edited: 14 July 2013, 18:29
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

You're welcome !

:-)

10. Re: 8- hour layover in Athens airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19