We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens not safe

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Athens not safe

Hello everybody,

We booked a trip to Athens. I was looking forward to it.

Now I read everywhere on the internet that Athens is not safe. Tourist are attacked by many drugs addicts who hang around in the city. People being threatend and robbed.

It's not safe to leave the hotel in the evening.

And I read the Greece people hate the European tourist because of the crisis. Taxi will not take you and in restaurants they better see you leave.

Does anyone who's been there recently of this is true?

I regret I booked a trip to Athens and hestitate if it's safe to go.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens not safe

It gets tiring answering the same questions all the time,why dont you read all the topics on TA before you open a new one?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k4569…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens not safe

I don't know where you are reading these things, but they are absolute nonsense.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens not safe

I had hoped these rumours had stopped by now. It is simply not true.

Greek people loves European tourists for bringing in fresh money and hope for the future. I have been to Greece a number of times during the last years, and the Greek people are as lovely as they have always been. In every major city there will be places you dont visit after dark. If you plan to visit Norway, it is places in Oslo I would warn you of, and I guess it is the same in Amsterdam or Berlin or anywhere else.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 12:10
west sussex
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens not safe

had a 5 day break in May. Fantastic time,no worries whatsoever,and very friendly people we came across virtually everywhere.

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens not safe

I think people should add links so that we can see where they have found such ridiculous statements rather than just "I read everywhere on the internet".

We were in Athens in June for our annual visit and were given a friendly welcome as always.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens not safe

I was in Athens for a couple nights in early June. I went to the front desk with a city map and asked for the areas that were best avoided - he circled a group of streets off Omonia Square. So I immediately headed for that neighborhood, walked around for a half hour or so and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary (this was late afternoon; I would not have done it at night). There are neighborhoods in DC where I would not do that at any time of day.

7. Re: Athens not safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 13:38
Edited: 06 February 2014, 13:38
8. Re: Athens not safe

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens not safe

To be honest I do not believe he read anything anywhere,we had similar posts like this one in the past.,Intentionaly he deceives TA readers.

10. Re: Athens not safe