We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must one use a wheelchair to use the Acropolis elevator?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
42 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Must one use a wheelchair to use the Acropolis elevator?

I have heard mixed reports on the use of the elevator by someone with a disability that does not require a wheelchair. Some say you can only take the elevator if you are in a wheelchair or using a scooter. Others say anyone in need can use it. What is the truth? Thanks.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must one use a wheelchair to use the Acropolis elevator?

You don't have to be using a wheelchair to use the elevator.

Elevator is available to anyone with some kind of disability or mobility issues.

A doctor's letetr may be needed in the case of an invisible diasbility or a non profound issue.

A certain procedure ( calling before hand and other things ) is needed to ensure a smooth transition up to the hill top. In some of the cases problems may rise at the last part of the access which is made on a hirolift. That's 20 - 30 steps before the elevator base.

You can read all about it on the "Top question" onthe right side of the page you are reading just right now.

In there you 'll find two articles re: Acropolis elevator.

Please don't hesitate to ask more advise on that issue or pm.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 21:24
Herts
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must one use a wheelchair to use the Acropolis elevator?

Hi, I will accompanying my friend who uses a wheelchair and plan to use the lift to get to the top of the acropolis. I have heard that the wheelchair user and one person accompanying him are eligible to go up. However, I will also have my 10 year old daughter with me. Will all three of us be allowed to use the lift as obviously I do not want to let my daughter try and find her own way up.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must one use a wheelchair to use the Acropolis elevator?

Call them to make sure,I do not think you will have a problem.

4. Re: Must one use a wheelchair to use the Acropolis elevator?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:15