We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening traffic in Athens?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Changchun, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Evening traffic in Athens?

Hi all, I will attend a conference in the University of Athens in early Aug, as I presume, I would register in the eastern corner of the campus in zografos. Since my flight will arrive in Athens at 6:30 pm, I just wonder: How fast can get to the building of registration? I checked the transit system in Athens, and learnt that I have 3 options: 1.Taxi; 2. The metro to Evangelismos, then taxi or bus route 608/250 to Tempa; 3. X 95 to Evangelismos, then taxi or bus route 608/250 to Tempa.

Which of the above is the fastest? If I take a taxi at the airport around 20:00, how much does itcost and how long is it to get to my destination? If I take a metro, will it be smooth on the way avoiding traffic jam? And is it easy to take a taxi at Evangelismos? How long does it usually take to go through the customs and claim the luggage at this time of year and around 19:00? I believe I have to get my registration done before 21:30, or I would have to go without necessary materials.

Thank you all! I was really confused about this %>_<%

But I love Athens!!!!!!! I'm really looking forward to meeting the Agean Sea!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening traffic in Athens?

I 'd take a taxi.

Getting in the center and then going to Zografos involves a bit of backtracking and getting in city traffic, so there is some lost time there.

Taking a taxi you 'll be at Zografos in appx. 30' - 35', through Airport highway ( Attiki Odos and Imittos Ring ).

Taking the subway + taxi or the bus + the taxi will take appx. 60'.

Print the locaion you want to go in a piece of paper and ask your driver to get you through Imittos Ring ( in Greek: "Περιφερειακή Υμηττού" ). **Fare should NOT exceed 35 - 42 euros at that time of the day** including toll fee, lugagge fee and any relative charge.

I 'd get taxi all the way from airport. Cist will be less, and time travel also. You also have to find a way to return from there, either a bus or a taxi, or the same taxi if possible.

Time needed to clear airport procedures depends on the size of the aircraft nd the time your flight touches down. It can take anywhere from 20' to 35'. It's a pretty efficient airport, still these things do need some time. Sometimes it's fast as a breeze with 5' in the passport control and 12' to get luggae, sometimes you may find 3 - 4 flights in front of you.

All in all, with an arrival at 18.30pm, you ';ll be getting a taxi at appx, 19.10 - 19.30, arriving at Zografos at appx. 19.40 - 20.10.

Changchun, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening traffic in Athens?

Thank you Nick! Very considerate and very helpful! I heard that many taxis in Athens would make a bargain about the fare and tips before setting out, is this common among the airport taxis? By the way, if I could get to Zografos at appx 20:10, that'll be perfect!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening traffic in Athens?

Traffic is very light in Athens at all times since the crisis started (with 1/3 of the population unemployed and gas prices at almost 2 euro per liter no one seems to use their car anymore) AUGUST is also the time than half the locals leave the city for their villages,I agree that w/ a taxi you will need 25-30 minutes (tops) to reach Zografou from the airport.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening traffic in Athens?

<with 1/3 of the population unemployed and gas prices at almost 2 euro per liter no one seems to use their car anymore>

Although the 28% unemployment is a sincerely bad figure indeed, gasoline price is the same or similar as in most EU countries at appx. 1.75e per liter. Salaries are not of course, and this is a totally different conversation, but i can't say i am not happy to see Athenians getting public transportation nowadays. They used to get their car to go somewhere 20 minutes walking distance from their place.

Gasoline price is more or less common in EU. Countries with even smaller salaries have a more or less similar price. http://www.energy.eu/ And definitey out of topic here ( sorry Thirstsun D 0 but price of gasoline in the EU is indeed very high but it is a result of high taxation and part of a strategy to minimise gasoline use overall. Painful indeed, not productive in the short term, but it may prove good in the long term.

Traffic or not, going directly to Zografos makes more sense because of location. It's, roughly speaking between Airport and downtown.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 15:34
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening traffic in Athens?

>They used to get their car to go somewhere 20 minutes walking distance from their place.<

the right phrase is "They used to get their car to go somewhere 20 METERS walking distance from their place." :):)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening traffic in Athens?

:sigh:

indeed.

7. Re: Evening traffic in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 06:20