We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

We are planning our second trip to visit friends in Chios. Will visit Athens again at the end of our trip. Arrival USAirways Friday, September 20 at 9:15. Is there enough time to make an Olympic flight to Chios that departs at 10:50? The next flight after that is 17:45.

Your insight appreciated. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

Hey and welcome kkgotbroker:-) This is purely a personal call;-) If all goes timely with the arrival, you should have no problems making the flight in approx 1.5 hours.. passport control, luggage retreival usually don't take more than about 40-45 min or so.. even given an hour, you should still do fine.. if.. you land timely.. not last one of passport control line.. luggage comes out relatively timely;-)

The gate for the domestic flight to Chios closes about half an hour prior at 10:20a so you're looking at pretty much an hour with a timely landing on the trans! Doable, yes! Question is, if you're comfortable with that time spread;-) How much of an inconvenience would it be if you did miss the flight?! What if next available (that later flight) was sold out?! Some things to consider.. nonetheless, if it fits into your comfort zone, would go for it.. if not and you'd prefer to play it on the safe side, would book that later flight at 5:45p;-) Granted, it'll make for a LONG day waiting around.. but up to you if better safe that sorry applies here!

Am also assuming here you'll have to check in for the domestic.. your luggage won't be tagged through?;-) If so, although the airport is super manageable and all under 1 roof, it still takes time to head upstairs, check in , etc.. Personally, I prefer at least a 2-2.5 hour time spread coming off a direct trans dealing with formalities.. 3 hours even better.. again, just to cover for any mishaps along the way! No reason to start out the vaca stressing sitting on the tarmac at Philly wondering if you'll make it;-) My 2 cents.. my travel style;-) Best.. and enJOY!

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

It's my style too....plenty of time, no running, no stress. Just wanted to hear what insiders thought. I recall two years ago, very long lines at passport control upon arrvial. Thinking of either an overnight in Athens, going out the next day or even if a hotel has a day room, for a nap and catch the 17:45.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

You could book the later flight and, if you get in early and there are seats on the earlier one you could take it. A couple years ago I had booked a late afternoon flight to Paros, got in to Athens at about 10:45 and was able to get on an 11:30 flight.

Or, you could leave your luggage at the airport (or check it in for the afternoon flight to Chios if that's possible) and head in to Athens for a few hours.

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

Can you book the USAirways and Olympic flights on one ticket? If so, your luggage can go straight through to Chios and, if the USAirways flight is delayed, the airline will rebook you on the later flight. We did something similar in June: flew from the US to Athens on Lufthansa, and Athens to Heraklion on Aegean (all on one ticket) with only a 1 hour, 5 min layover in Athens! We made the connection fine but were assured that if the Lufthansa flight was delayed we'd be re-booked on the later flight from Athens to Heraklion.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,336 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

This will most likely depend upon if the airlines are in the same cooperation. Both Lufthansa and Aegean are members of the Star Alliance.

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

And I believe Olympic air is not. But will check. Thanks all.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

Spot on g-t:-) Olympic does not co-op with USAir.. only Delta from the States! Having said that, coming in on Lufthansa means a plane change somewhere in Germany.. no directs on any European carrier from the States to Greece.. they all stop at their 'home' Country from the States and you need to make the change there.. so formalities via Germany are done there.. and you're usually ticketed all the way through.. all 3 segments as well.. so 1+ hours works for the most part since they're tried and true schedules and no formalities upon arrival at Athens;-) I once had a 40 min layover in Franfurt leaving Athens and heading back to JFK via LTU.. amazingly enough, made it easily enough since they delayed the flight out of FRA to get everybody on board from other flights;-)

In this case, I'd personally play it safe.. since it sounds like 2 seperate tickets and luggage will need to be retreived and re-checked in for the domestic.. not to mention the regular formalities involved coming off a direct! Zakrosian makes a great point.. you can book the afternoon flight and if on time, check to see if any seats on earlier flight.. if not, at least you know you're guaranteed seats on later flight same day! Problem is if you book and miss that early flight and no seats on later flight, you may have to overnight for next available! Anyway, no clue about day rooms at the Sofitel.. but you can always check;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

Since you can't book on one ticket, I agree completely with Litsa and would play it safe! Sept 20 is not peak travel time to the islands; plus, on Fridays, I'm guessing that the later flights will fill up first (local folks trying to fit in a day of work before heading out to their favorite island - CHIOS of course! - for the weekend). If you arrive with enough time, there's a good chance you'll be able to find seats on the earlier flight.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

Just made this trip 2 weeks ago and we had about 30 mins to spare waiting in the terminal. The luggage doesn't go directly to Chios, so make sure you check that all in Athens. Have a safe trip!

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arrival Athens 9:15, Olympic Air to Chios 10:50 enough time?

Thanks for your tip. Did you book the 10:50 and take that chance? I spoke with OlympicAir and they suggested purchasing a fully refundable fare for 17:25 and if we get there in time, collect luggage, go to the gate and see if we can get on. Costs a little more, but right now plenty of seats. They said if we purchased the discounted economy ticket that there would be a change fee and we would pay the difference in fare. I would like to know how you handled the return. Did you take the 7:00 from Chios and then catch the 11:25 non stop to PHL the same day? We are thinking of adding in a couple of days in Athens at the end.