We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acropolis Museum

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Acropolis Museum

My wife and I plan to visit Athens on a cruise this fall. I had planned to visit the Acropolis Museum but read that the museum uses airport security measures and you will be required to check ANY cameras. No photography allowed!

However, one individual on here posted that an exception was made for the top floor [3rd?] In that post she indicated that you could take pictures through the glass of the Acropolis.

What is the case? Can pictures be taken from the top floor of the museum of the Acropolis?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,761 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acropolis Museum

The museum has a restaurant with outdoor facilities where you get a great view of the Acropolis and can take pictures. As far as I know you are not permitted to take pictures indoor.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acropolis Museum

The museum uses airport security measures for security reasons; it has nothing to do with photography.

In general, all bulky backpacks are not allowed in the museum space; they have to be kept in a free cloakroom. This is how thigns work from the very first days, since many artifacts of the museum, the Caryatids included are not fenced. No restrictive wirs or glass or plexiglas anywhere around the statues.

Which means backpacks and camera shooting are not allowed in indoor spaces..

An exception regarding indoor spaces is made on the top floor, the Parthenon Marbles floor, appx. 14 - 15 months now. This is a transparent walls, glass all around level and you can take photographs of artifacts or the Acropolis with no flash there . Photos are also allowed one floor below on the outdoor restaurant terrace, where you can take photos of the Parthenon and the Acropolis.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 21:10
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acropolis Museum

Thanks for your quick and through answers.

My cameras [compact Panasonic's] are both small.

About the size of a man's wallet.

They easily fit in a shirt or pants pocket.

I will plan to leave my ship bag in the tour bus; hence, I would not expect any problems.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acropolis Museum

Security is fast and with no problems at all.

If this is like a hand luggage or a backpack you can always leave it in the cloakroom if you want. Visitors are discouraged to arrive with big luggage but backpacks or small luggage are expected.

Small camera pouches around your waist, like small cellphone pouches are absolutely no problem. Bulky banana waistbags can be, but i am talking about these small pouches that can fit a camera / cellp phone, passport, some money and one or two credit cards in a very limited space, through the belt and an extra clip to somewhere around the shorts or pants.

I use these for years in Athens. You have it always on you, much better than a wallet in a pocket ( no no ) or a bag. Those that are horizontal are far more comfy when at restaurants etc.

You 'll have absolutely no problem. Just remember to turn off the flash when on top floor :)

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acropolis Museum

I was in the Museum in June and was surprised to see visitors taking photographs in and around the first floor. I checked with the guard who confirmed this was OK without flash.

Not sure when the rules changes as I didn't notice this in May when I arrived.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acropolis Museum

Thanks Ann

That makes my day. I would have been happy with pictures being allowed only on the top floor and from the restaurant

Antwerp
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acropolis Museum

You are not permitted to use a FLASH, inside the Museum. Taking pics without a flash... no problems.

8. Re: Acropolis Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 07:18