We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

We are contemplating canceling our trip and cruise due to high alert terror threats. Any thoughts on safety in Athens and other Greek Island and Italy?

51. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 13:42
Edited: 06 February 2014, 13:42
52. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Hi Minnigal, You have absolutely no need to apologise for asking a question about something that was obviously bothering you. That is what the forum is for. As you can see, feelings run high about the rubbish that is spouted by the International Media. Greece is one of the safest countries in the World (and that includes Athens). So go and have a wonderful time and spend as many of your lovely US dollars as you can :-). You will love Greece and Greece will love you !

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

High alert in Athens? Where the hell did you read that?? As Toni said you will be the only cancelling your trip to Greece haha. I don't think you should have anything to worry about!! I go to Greece often and have never had any problems. I believe the terror alert is the for Arab countries so Greece not included...

55. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

I am glad to see that Greece is getting so popular, however it has also meant that flying to Greece has become so expensive that I could not afford to go there this summer. Over £400 for a return flight in insane and will have to postpone until October hoping that the fares will be better :(

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

it is the same for us travelling to Europe and everywhere else.

Try Ryanair or Easyjet.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Indeed, fares are up while flight options are not so many.

In the topic, the post suggesting to avoid Athens is so paradox as if i was visiting USA and i was suggesting someone to avoid NYC at any cost.

Compared to Athens, New York City unfortunately IS the one in the heart of every terrorist attack threat, as London.

Not Athens.

Whether we like it or not, if we judge by numbers, considerably more people have been killed in the USA by terrorism than in Europe.

Greece is extremely low on all statistics, either numbers or numbers relative to population.

I guess numbers can be a very clear indication of which country or area is safer and which less safe. It is extremely disappointing to say so, especially for a country that has invested trillions of funds against this ( talking about the USA); but that is the bitter truth.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 13:46
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

First, let me say I am coming to Athens in 2 weeks and despite the issues around the globe, as an American tourist, I have no hesitation about returning to Greece and Athens. I plan to stay right on Syntagma square as I have done several times before.

Now in response to Toni M - I am not going to call your statement ignorant or stupid, but perhaps you should review a little more of Athens history. Athens has been the unforuntate target of terrorism in the past (re; 1973 attack at the airport that killed several tourists and wounded over 50). Unfortunately we live in a world where a few can and will try to ruin the enjoyment and freedome of many. Just as I am not afraid to travel to NYC based on what happend 12 years ago, I am not afraid to visit Athens for what happened even further in the past.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: High Alert Travel Threat - Athens???

Huh?! How did I miss this post, lol;-) Hey minnigal.. not sure where you read about any high alert terror threats for Greece .. non existant as far as I know.. but totally understandable concern going to a foreign land.. but Greece falls way off the radar in comparison to what NYC .. or America in general.. looked like at 9/11 when every airplane was grounded as well! This is a personal call for you make for sure.. it's your comfort zone that rules..personally, I wouldn't let any opportunity fly by on a visit to this magnificent Country.. also considered one of.. if not 'the'.. safest Country in Europe even for solo female travellers.. of which I am usually one;-) My 2 cents says head out.. and enJOY!