We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

Hello there,

We are a family of 5 flying out to Athens on the 15th of August where we will spend 2 nights then to Santorini (3 nights) and finally Mykonos (1 night). My mum's quite prone to seasickness and I've been reading horror stories about Seajet2 ferries (cramp, bumpy etc). Would the highspeed6 be the next best choice or BlueStar Delos? I've heard more good comments about the bluestar compared to highspeed6 but 7hrs sounds like an awfully long time to be on a ferry..what I want to know is the 3 hours difference worth it? What's the comfort factor like highspeed6 vs bluestar? Thing is if we arrive at Santorini at 11ish, we could have a nice sit down restaurant meal whereas taking the bluestar would mean having lunch on board. :S not really sure which to book.

Also, any recommended taxi companies in Athens and Santorini as I haven't booked any airport transfers yet? It's a bit awkward with us being 5 ppl - most taxis take up to a max of 4. My sister's tiny so we could technically squeeze but I'm not sure how strict they are over there. Would it be easier (and cheaper) to take the metro from the airport in Athens?

Thanks in advance!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

The metro requires a change of lines in Monastiraki.

The X96 bus takes you from the airport to Piraeus (€ 5 pax).

Have you considered flying ? It is recommended to leave Athens at the tail of your visit to avoid any transport problem or strikes etc. make you risk your flight home. If you change for this you may fly out to Santorini upon your arrival in Greece, saving lots of time. Look up Aegean and Olympic for times and fares (flight time appr. 40 mins):

http://en.aegeanair.com/

https://www.olympicair.com/en

In my opinion going to an island for one night is not worthwhile. You will use most of your time being in transfer (packing \ unpacking, checking in and out of hotels, commuting to and from ports, waiting time in ports, time for embarking \ disembarking in addition to the actual journey time).

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

Have already booked accommodation for the trip so am afraid can't change the order of places :S We're flying out of Greece from Mykonos, hence the one night stay there.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

Greek-traveller's advice is spot on, but are you asking about August 15th, 2013 (four days from today) or do you mean 2014? If you mean four days from now, presumably you have already booked your hotels and ferries, and it's probably too late to make any changes. If you can, then follow greek-traveler's advice.

To answer your question, Highspeed 6 is a very large catamaran, and a good compromise between speed and comfort. Blue Star Delos is a huge conventional ferry, the best choice for someone susceptible to motion sickness.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

Sillysquirrel, we cross-posted. Have you not made any ferry reservations yet?

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

It's 2013..4 days from today. I haven't booked ferries yet. The only thing i've done is booked accomm and flights into and out of greece. Would it be too risky to buy ferry tickets on the day of travel itself?

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

First priority will be booking your ferry tickets from Santorini to Mykonos, since that is where you are flying out of. You may still be able to do that on the internet. I would also check on the Blue Star and Hellenic Seaways websites to see if you can still book tickets online for the ferry from Piraeus to Santorini. If you can't, book tickets right away when you arrive in Athens. The Amphitrion Holidays ticket booth at the airport charges an extra €2 service charge per ticket, but IMO it would be worth it if you don't already have ferry reservations.

Mid-August is a very busy time for ferries. In your favour is the fact you are travelling out to the islands AFTER the August 15th Greek public holiday, rather than the weekend before.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

If you are going to Myconos from Santorini on the 19th BOOK NOW

www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=219

there are still a few seats left.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 17:01
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

Thanks for the advice. I have booked highspeed6 from Athens to Santorini. More options for Santorini-Mykonos.. seajet2, superjet and highspeed5. Should I go for the last? Anyone taken seajet2 or superjet before?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

Sillysquirrel, have your mother take a Dramamine (or whatever they're called where you are) the morning of the trip - not one hour before or on the boat, but the morning of. Like 6 hours in advance. I have a sailboat, and have always been fine until 10 years ago we took a boat trip in Hawaii where I got sea sick and have gotten it ever since. I took a Dramamine the morning of each ferry trip in Greece and didn't have any problems - even on the little boat we took to Delos which was heaving (no pun intended) all over the place. Have a good trip - and good luck :-)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens-Santorini-Mykonos

If you can't cope with wild seas then don't take catamaran,I am in mykonos now the wind is around 8 Beaufort and the sea is white than blue