We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

Kitty Hawk, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

Hello, I am planning on spending 4 days in Athens in early October. This will be one of my destinations on a 6 week backpacking trip. I am 23 years old and have spent a lot of time traveling alone - am aware of pick pocketing, etc. However I am unfamiliar with Athens and am hearing mixed reports about the demonstrations, so any additional advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

Nothing to worry you regarding demonstrations,just book a safe hotel,hostel around Plaka,Syntagma,Monastiraki,avoid wakling in dark streets and that's it,nothing else.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

avoid omonoia and metaxourgeio-kolonos area .take the same precautions you would take in a big city back home.(not walking alone at night in dodgy areas like the above)...

demonstrations rarely happen nowadays and you can easily avoid them.they are all around syntagma square..no toursit has ever been harmed during demonstrations..if you see people marching for a demonstration just go the other way.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

I agree, avoid the dodgier areas as mentioned - when I was in Athens I mentioned to waiter in a restaurant that I wanted to head to omoinia later that night, he balked and went "not without a body guard you're not!!".

Like the rest of the world, just look confident when you're waking by yourself and use common sense, don't follow any salesmen down alleyways etc.

I didn't have problems with any demonstrations, i was there November/december 2012' there was a small protest which closed off one street, I just grabbed a cab to a different area.

It's like anywhere, with good street smarts you'll be fine.

Salem, MO
Level Contributor
147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

Just be smart about your travels, don’t make yourself an easy target, Eg. keep your purse closed and close, keep your money in a money belt or a small purse under your shirt, remove your gold necklaces, if traveling at night you may want to take a taxi to and from your hotel. This past May,( 2013) my wife and I mistakenly booked our lodging in the Omonia area and we did not have any problems, but others that were staying in our hotel did. In hind-sight I would book our lodging in another part of Athens. Enjoy you visit to Athens.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

Hi Neighbor! Just got back from Greece tonight- you seem to be a savvy traveler-avoid Omonia and watch out for your belongings on the Metro and in Piraeus. You'll be fine. Have an excellent trip and kiss the Acropolis for me.

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

You'll be perfectly fine. Athens is a very safe city. I've been walking around in the city center by myself in the middle of night just as well and never felt threatened or uncomfortable. I agree it may be best to avoid Omonoia area at night, even though I don't believe you'd be at risk on a big avenue.

Enjoy Greece!

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

Athens is a great city. Just take the normal pickpocket precautions for cities. Especially around Monastiraki

Hostels -

if you mostly want to go to bars Athenstyle - cuz you are right there in Psirri, just a block away.It also has a roof bar till midnight. - right at Monastiraki

If you want a very comfortable bed and chill friendly surroundings - City Circus (my current favorite) near Monastiraki & Thission metro

To be right in Plaka, there is Student & Travelers. use Syntagma metro for this one.

All 3 are close to restaurants. There is very cheap souvlaki in Monastiraki/Psirri, and Psirri turns into bars at night. There is a lot of graffiti - especially right near Athenstyle - that can make you feel worried, but when I was in the area it felt quite safe and the only trouble anyone at the hostel mentioned was losing phones/cameras (possibly to pickpockets, unknown). I took lots of pictures of especially the more clever or artistic or otherwise interesting of the graffiti.

If you know there will be a demonstration, or if you encounter one, just walk the other way. If you are staying in Plaka and the Syntagma metro station is closed due to a demonstration - either Monastiraki or Acropolis stations are not a far walk. The large amounts of police with riot gear that have been hanging out near Syntagma make me nervous, but most of the time there is nothing really happening there except for people walking through or relaxing on a bench.

Have fun, it will be fine as long as you follow normal city commonsense.

Kitty Hawk, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

Thank you so much for your responses! All very helpful. Can't wait to be there.

9. Re: Any safety advice for a solo female traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:18