We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Withdrawing money from ATM when getting to Greece

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Withdrawing money from ATM when getting to Greece

Hi,

Two quick questions on the Greek bank ATMs in the Athens Airport. I'll be using a Bank of America card to withdraw money upon arrival in Greece. I know all about the BofA $5 fee and the 1% charge.

1) Do the ATMs in the airport generally charge you a fee themselves apart from your home bank? So will let's say I use the Alpha Bank ATM in the airport--will they charge me a fee on top of what I'm paying to BofA?

2) How do the exchange rates you can achieve from withdrawing at the airport in Athens generally compare compare to the going exchange rate? For example, I am able to exchange $1.42 in the States right now for one euro. The prevailing rate today looks to be closer to $1.35, and I've heard you can achieve a better rate by waiting until you're in Greece to withdraw from an ATM. What are people's experiences with this? Should I get money out of the ATM at the airport or wait until I get to Santorini (I go straight to Santorini and do not leave the airport)? Do the rates differ at different ATMs in different parts of Greece?

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps out.

Charles

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Withdrawing money from ATM when getting to Greece

The Greek bank ATMs make no charges on foreign cards. You'll get the Visa/Mastercard international rate, in my experience only the Piraeus Bank has a lower rate.

The same rate applies to ATMs throughout Greece ( mainland and islands) . All the charges come from the USA bank , or my case the UK one.

There are a number of ATMs in Arrivals at Athens Airport, so use one of them for starters, avoiding the Piraeus Bank.

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Withdrawing money from ATM when getting to Greece

Very helpful, thanks so much!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,590 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Withdrawing money from ATM when getting to Greece

Also, avoid any attempts for you to take the 'dynamic exchange rate' - you'll end up worse off. See this thread for details, and again, avoid Piraeus Bank ATMs, or at least d not accept their 'offer':

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k54…

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Withdrawing money from ATM when getting to Greece

Athens arrival hall

http://tinyurl.com/a3rtoek

5. Re: Withdrawing money from ATM when getting to Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:20