We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay by the sea near Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay by the sea near Athens

Hello

We are planning to visit Delphi & Meteora next May, and are trying to work out how to do it and where to stay. We are thinking of an organised tour from Athens and back to Athens. We would then like to stay somewhere by the sea not too far from Athens ( as our flights will be from Athens). I like quite traditional Greek places, narrow old streets, and with a nice long beach if possible, preferably fairly quiet. I have been told about Evia, how far is that from Athens?

How much would a taxi their cost?

If anyone could suggest some nice places to stay as I don't know the Greek mainland very well, that isn't too far out, an hour or so from Athens is ok.

We were thinking of staying in Galaxidi, which looks lovely, but thats about 3 hours away from Athens.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Elleda

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,644 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

Hi,

Aegina could, to an extent, meet some of your demands:

http://www.aeginagreece.com/

Expect the weather to be better at the end of May.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

You do not mention how long do you intend to stay near the beach, few days, a week ?

First comes to my mind the nearby islands - or do you wish to concentrate on the mainland Greece?

Poros, Aegina, Agistri, are all close by, within easy reach by ferryboat from Piraeus.

Also you can drive directly to Poros island, it is separated only by 5 min ferry ride from the mainland.

Evia is not known much as a tourist island, I have been there only once, and somehow did not feel so "welcome" if you know what I mean. We drove from one end to the tip of the island, a long drive,,,, Would not recommend it. To take a taxi there is not worthwhile.

Galaxidi is a nice place, I have stopped there couple of times on my way back to Athens, had a lovely meal, but cannot tell you more about the beach there, or night time activities.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

there is no area like the one you imagine close to Athens,if you want it like this you have to go from 1-3 hours away,Evia with taxi will cost more than your airline ticket to Greece.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

Thanks for your replies, we hope to stay somewhere by the sea for about 6 or 7 nights, we don't mind whether. its the mainland or an island as long as its not too far or difficult to get to. Aegina might be an option,unless you know of somewhere on the mainland? For the ferries to the islands do you have to book , or can you just get tickets at the port?

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,644 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

Hi,

There are frequent sailings from Piraeus port to Aegina, it isn't necessary to book in advance, just show up on the day of travel and buy a ticket. It is also possible to visit the nearby Agistri from Aegina as a side trip.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

Following your previous threads, You may want to add Nafplio area to your sight-seen, then check Tolo area for your beach holidays. Tolo is somehow closer to what you have on mind. I do not see overnighting in Athens prior to your flight home such a big deal, so been 2-3 hours away of the airport is not the end of the world ; )

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

Euboea is not mainland, it is a big island.

If you want a place near Athens you can go to Eretria.

Much better if you hire a car and explore the island.

Many Greek families prefer Euboea because it is cheaper than other islands

Eretria is a small tourist town catering mostly to Greek tourists - which means the food and service are better than what you would get in towns that mainly have foreign tourists

Edited: 29 September 2013, 19:37
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

Evia has some great spots (check recent trip reports posted under the Central Greece forum) but a car is a must. Sea side towns are not exactly beach resorts as envisioned by OP either...

9. Re: where to stay by the sea near Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 06:22