We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only one day in Athens - any suggestions?

Tampa
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Only one day in Athens - any suggestions?

My husband and I have 10 hours in Athens from our Cruise in October. Any ideas of how we could create our own itinerary and get around to make the most of the day? Should we try to climb the Acropolis, go to the Museum and have a meal all in the day? Any better ways to spend our time? Any "shouldn't miss" places? Is there a restaurant that we "must" not miss? Thank you in advance for your information.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only one day in Athens - any suggestions?

Hello maggolfgirl!

Please search for the following topic

"12 hrs only, off cruise ship- rent car or metro/ bus?"

putting it in the "serch" box without the brackets.

One "must not miss" is Acropolis of course. This will take about 1/3 - 1/2 of your available time. During the rest of it, you can either go to the National Arcahelogical Museum or spend the day at Plaka area.

If you are "in" the museums, go for the National Museum.

If you want to relax, go for Plaka / Monastiraki / Psirri areas.

If i had so limited time, i would prefer to spend it outside, drinking coffee and enjoying a meal / watching the people, rather than in a museum ( despite the fact that Athens museum has one of the best and more extensive Classical antiquities collection around the Globe ).

Mentioned in this post
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,176 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
11,875 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Monastiraki
Monastiraki
4,443 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Shropshire England
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Only one day in Athens - any suggestions?

I agree with Nick, Acropolis should be your first.

You can get a combined ticket for other sites, 12e, such as Temple of Zeus, Roman Forum, Agora, which are all walkable via Plaka / Monastiraki !

If you choose this central area you will see the Highlights, but if you can also get to Lykavitos hill (not far) you will get a fantastic view of the whole of Athens to the coast.

I am not sure what the weather is like in Tampa at the moment but it is hot in Athens, 40 in the shade On Saturday 18th. It was very hot for us after the see breeze in Naxos, so the early morning would be cooler and there will be less crowds, Acropolis opens 8am.

Mikri

Mentioned in this post
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,176 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
11,875 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Monastiraki
Monastiraki
4,443 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Only one day in Athens - any suggestions?

Hi There!

We will be in Athens for the day off of our cruise ship in October as well. We will be there on October 4th off of the Grand Princess. Are you by any chance doing the same cruise? If so, maybe we could split a tour guide service? Otherwise, best of luck to you planning!

Sincerely,

bballprncess

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only one day in Athens - any suggestions?

Nick gives you excellent advice

5. Re: Only one day in Athens - any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 13:20