We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

We plan to go into Athens from our cruise ship and see all the must-do sights, but I would also like to take a quick bus run around the port where we'll be docked just to see more in that area. What would you suggest?

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

Hi,

Your best bet is to take the 843 bus which drives most of the way around the port before passing through the suburbs of Piraeus. Later on it passes shipyards (on your left) on its way to Perama.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

For a quick run around the port i suggest you walk rather than take the bus. There is no single bus line that will take you "around the port" and see the sights.

Just walk around and mingle with the crowd. I suggest you visit Dim Gounari street:

https://tinyurl.com/pgfw6ag

It has a lot of shops that sell just about anything (not clothes though). These are not the usual "tourist trap" shops, but real everyday shops that greek people visit.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

Hi,

You may also find Zea Marina of interest, lots of smaller craft dock there. It is also a pleasant area to stop off and eat/drink something in the nearby Pasilimani. It can be reached by 843 bus and then a short walk or 843 bus to the metro station where you can pick up the 20 trolley bus which will take you directly there.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 10:16
Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

Thank you for the valued information - I'm eager to be there (in less than 3 weeks!:)

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

We will definitely want to visit that marina - thank you for your helpful suggestion!

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

Hi,

I hope the link below works for you, it is a bus map of Piraeus:

oasa.gr/pdf/…peiraias_2008.pdf

From where your cruise ship docks you could walk up to Hroon Politechnico street (not mentioned on the map) and take the 040 bus the best part of the way to Marina Zea.

Enjoy Piraeus !

Edited: 08 October 2013, 15:07
Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

Is this Zea Marina the same place as Mikromilano, which has also been suggested as a good place to visit? Can you tell me more about each of these please. Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

Zea is a different place than Mikrolimano,the second will remind you the promenade of a Greek island in a way,it has many seafood tavernas and other kind of eateries,Zea is a seaside place a marina,.

https://www.google.gr/search…

https://www.google.gr/search…

Zea is first as you coming from the port,Mikrolimano is about 5 minutes further by taxi.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

Hi,

As Spyros notes they are different places and Mikrolimano is well known for seafood. Trolley bus 20 goes very close to it. The link below gives more info and a map(s):

http://www.athensguide.org/pireas1.jpg

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring Piraeus port by public bus

The first marina, Zea, appears to be easily walkable, but I find more than one Mikrolimano on the map - is the marina designated as Mikrolimano S.A., Akti Dilaveri? Or is the marina and promenade area further?