We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

should i stay in a hotel near the acropolis for a tour or near the ferry to leave the next day for santorini

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

Hey and welcome wendykay12:-) Is this by any chance on your arrival day?! Are you looking to check out some sights upon arrival and head out the next day?! Bit more info may help here.. reason being, if it's off a long haul, you may want to simply consider grabbing flight out to Santorini since you'll be at the airport anyway.. no backtracking.. and great place to de-lag.. get into zone! Saving Athens for your finale.. which will not only ensure your return trans flight out.. but you'll be ready by this point to take in the sights without rubber-legs and buzz head;-) Also, keeping the itinerary running consecutively is a huge timesaver! Best.. and enjoy!

EDIT: Forgot.. check www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ and sign up now for their email alerts! Flight takes barely 40 min and oftentimes rivals ferry cost;-)

Edited: 19 November 2013, 00:51
Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

wow u are so right! thank u so very much..u r a genius! I am also trying to decide if its worth doing naxos(or a different island..right now i want 2 days athens, 4 mykonos 4 santorini and was going to do 3 Naxos but maybe just split time between mykonos and santorini(oia).

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

LOL! My pleasure wendykay12:-) Don't know about genius.. but after having travelled there more times than I can count and having worked in the industry with American groups heading over.. all I can offer is some sound advise.. and a bit of mind-reading which sometimes works;-))

Ok, lets see here.. looks like you've got 13 nights.. or is that days?! Bottom line, would fly out to an isle upon arrival.. say you fly to Mykonos first.. you can then ferry to Naxos.. then to Santorini (nice for a 1st time entering the caldera;-)..it's a popular run and convenient ferries.. then fly back to Athens from Santorini.. or vice versa?! You can keep an eye out on www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ for ferry schedules! You don't mention 'when' but am again assuming here it'll be sometime in Season.. during Summer.. say from May/June through Sept?;-) Up to you on isle split.. take note that both Santorini and Mykonos are extremely popular.. heaving in Season.. but both have reps for obvious reasons;-) Your prefs/priorities dictate.. it's your vaca.. your travel style rules;-) Regardless, would save Athens as your finale and keep itinerary running consecutively.. Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

May 9 depart ny arrive may 10 then leave athens may 23 arr ny may 24. I decided to book all on my own instead of the various companies as I can save 1-2,000 dollars! We haven't booked hotels yet but in Santorini I want great view of caldera and privacy so will probably do a homeaway.com place in a traditional cave house type place. not sure where yet on naxos or mykonos, IF we do naxos(did u rec that or split between mykonos and santorini?) thanks again..

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

hi..good choice on losing the middle man and saving your self almost half the cost of your holidays..trip advisor is the best source for choosing hotels or any other info..especially the experts know their stuff.. any question you may have has been answered many times before..,just go to the specific forum..

for example if you go to santorini forum and type ''which hotel'' or traditional cave house'' or any other key words at the research bar of the forum previous answers will come up..if they don't cover you you can always start a thread at these forums for some more specific suggestions by the experts

Edited: 19 November 2013, 02:04
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

gotcha..thanks again :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

Hmmm.. you depart Athens on the 23rd and arrive the 24th?;-) Are you stopping over somewhere in Europe?! You loose the day on the flight over .. but make up for it on the return.. returning same day;-)

So it appears you do have 13 nights! What would be a great resource here for you would be to post in each isle's/destination's dedicated forum! If you go the Santorini forum for example, you'll get loads more exposure to those in the know to help out with places to stay;-) Make sure you state a budget spread as well! Same with all other isles.. as well as for Athens!

Seems you're at a bit of a crossroads here with Naxos, lol! Bottom line, only you can decide what best fits the bill for you;-) The isle will certainly offer a contrast .. but remember that 2 days (anywhere) actually boils down to a single day;-) You can certainly alter/play with the itinerary.. adding/subtracting days from places.. but it's all down to you and what you're looking to experience;-) EnJOYin'!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Europe
Europe
World
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
8. Re: stay near the acropolis to tour or near ferry to leave next

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:16