We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

I will be on holiday in Greece next September and intended returning to the UK during the week commencing 12th September. However, the BA flights have gone on sale at a ridiculously high price about 3 times what I expected to pay. The week before and the week after are reasonably priced, at more or less what I had expected. I can't work put why this should be the case as there doesn't appear to be a major event in Athens at that time. I feel I've made a real mistake with the timing of my holiday and am faced either with stumping up the equivalent of a return transatlantic fare for a one way trip within Europe or staying in Athens for another 5 days or so.

If anyone knows why there is this inexplicable rise in the fares for one week only I would love to know.

thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

Hi basilturnip, what airport in the UK are you interested for? I had a look at the flights from Athens to London in September 12 2014 with BA and they are indeed expensive (361-518 euros). However, you should have a look at the flights of Aegean Airlines. For the exact same day and route, the tickets cost from 141 to 194 euros.

http://en.aegeanair.com/

It's a really good airline and I would highly recommend it!

Edited: 20 November 2013, 00:54
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

EasyJet have reasonably priced flights for the Edinburgh-Athens route so what's wrong with that (assuming that you're starting out from Scotland).

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

This is the week that thousands of undergrad and postgrad Greek students return to the UK after their summer holiday in order to continue their studies at British universities.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

Try Aegean or easyJet, both are way cheaper than BA and every bit as good.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

My partners daughter works for BA international reservations & does confirm that is a busy week - market led force of supply & demand.

Having used both Aegean & easyJet can agree that both are good service. I got a good deal with BA returning to Manchester at end of September 2014.

oldham
Level Contributor
961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

Santorini to gat wick on the 13th September £56 with Norwegian air

Edited: 20 November 2013, 09:44
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

Thanks folks for your replies. Still don't understand why flights to the UK re expensive, even if students are returning to Greece that week, but c'est la vie.... I will indeed be waiting for the easyjet flights back to Scotland. I had intended returning to the uk on Monday (15th) but easyjet only fly that route Sunday and Thursday. I will therefore need to spend 3 nights in Athens, (until Thursday) as I will not be flying back into Athens from ikaria until that Monday.

Shame the BA flights are so expensive as I had intended using my airmiles to get home.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

No students are NOT returning to Greece. They are Greek students that are returning TO the UK in order to continue their studies after their summer vacation. The week you mention, is the starting week for most of the courses. There are about 20.000 Greek students in British universities. Most of them will try to return to the UK that exact week, You do the math!

When I was starting my Masters Degree in mid-September 2000 I had to fly to London via Zurich (with a 6 hour stopover) because all direct flights were fully booked...

Edited: 21 November 2013, 07:25
9. Re: Why are flights Athens to UK so expensive wc Sept 12th 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:20