We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens trip in April, 2013

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Athens trip in April, 2013

We are a family of four with 12 and 14 years old kids. We plan to visit Santorini and Athens. Any advise on where to stay in Athens and Santorini would be greatly appreciated. We plan to spend 3 nights in Athens and 2 in Santorini. We are looking for a 4* accommodation. Also, where would you think is better to spend Good Friday - I am afraid if tourists places might be closed!

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Private Greece Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Free Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Limo Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Archaeology Tours
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens trip in April, 2013

Scroll back through the forums for Athens and for Santorini, or use the search facility. You will find masses of threads about places to stay.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens trip in April, 2013

Hey and welcome LetsTravel T:-) I think you would be best to post in each destination's dedicated forum here.. for best exposure for those in the know to find you;-) Generally, the central area in Athens works best.. areas to include Syntagma Square, Plaka, Akropolis, Monasteraki.. all merge at some point.. lots pedestrianized.. and loads of sites;-)

In Santorini.. are you looking for a beach stay.. or a caldera view property?! Make sure in both cases to state a budget spread since rates run the gamut;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens trip in April, 2013

Hi there

Two nights is just one full day so I think you need to decide how to divide up your already short available time a little better. How many FULL days do you have? With just two nights earmarked for Santorini, by the time you arrive on the island and settle in, it'll be time to leave,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens trip in April, 2013

Thank you all, for your responses. I am interested in Plaka area but cannot decide the hotel. We want to stay together in one room unless the rooms are adjoining.

@Litsa, I am not sure where to stay in Santorini. We won't be swimming as I believe that water would still be cold.

@GBfrmDevizes, I plan to go for 2 full days. We might take the 5 am or 10 am flight to Santorini, Spend two days and two nights and then fly back to Athens or Istanbul via Athens.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens trip in April, 2013

Our pleasure neighbor:-) What properties are you looking at in Plaka?! You obviously need a quad.. do you find the option available at the hotels you are considering?! You can always send them an email;-)

Yes.. noticed you are going in April.. swimming will definitely be on the major chill side, lol!! For caldera views, check out Oia and Fira.. although the isle is popular and has year round places to stay, most don't get into gear till about early May but you shouldn't have a problem around Easter time.. for that matter, just make sure to book something if planning on spending this major Holiday there;-) Again, highly rec to post in dedicated 'Santorini Forum'.. loads of great folks there to help out;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens trip in April, 2013

Thanks Litsa. I have trimmed down my choices to Athens gate and AVA hotels in Plaka. In Santorini, I would perhaps stay around Fira. I have been doing a thorough web surfing for a few days and just reached the conclusion that Easter weekend is not a good time for us, as most places would be closed or have modified schedule and we do not have any flexibility due to our vacation schedule. So, most likely we will divert our direction to another location in April and leave Greece for June, when we can easily spend two weeks exploring the area. The tips I have received here are useful and would come in handy for our June trip :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens trip in April, 2013

You're welcome:-) If you can head over in June, all the better.. You'll be able to swim as well;-) Good hotel choices.. FWIW, AVA is steps from Plaka.. you're practically at the doorstep to the New Akropolis Museum as well as the walkway leading you to the Akropolis;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

8. Re: Athens trip in April, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16