We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct flights from US to Greece?

Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Direct flights from US to Greece?

What is the shortest flight from the US to Greece? What East Coast airport has the best direct flight my airport is MIAMI. Would not mind making a stop for 2 nights somewhere else either if it make it more simple.Any suggestions would be great.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

Hey and welcome travelthroughmyeyes:-) The only 2 airports presently offering directs.. and ONLY in season.. from around May/June through mid-Oct.. are Delta out of JFK and USAir out of Philly.. that's it! Direct flights take approx. 9-10 hours on equipment presently used! Hop on over to NYC for a couple of nights;-)

With AA and USAir's new merger.. beginning today, who knows what the future holds.. you can also take a look at www.kayak.com/ for alternates from MIA via somewhere in Europe;-) Enjoy!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

Hi there

Have a look on www.kayak.com which acts as a consolidation site for all the other consolidators like Expedia and the rest of them. Put in your dates, your home airport and see what comes up. If there's nothing from Miami, repeat the process for other major airports within a reasonable distance from your home.

A longer flight with a stopover is usually cheaper than a direct flight but without precise dates, I can't do a dummy run

Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

thanks for your help , that was the information o came up with to, just wanted to see if there was something I was missing. I have been all over the world but never to Europe. Want to start with Greece.

Thanks for your help

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

Our pleasure.. and great start with a magnificent County;-) FWIW, Greece does not have a national carrier anymore that runs trans flights for us here in the States, unfortunately.. so unless you're traveling in Season and willing to fly up to us in the 'North' here, your only options are via Europe;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

I just may do that and go to NY from Florida and continue on, i really would rather go in Oct with out the crowds plus the weather seems to be perfect around that time to.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

I've never heard of them, but just looked for flights to Paris and found GREAT rates for XL Airways- Miami to Paris nonstop in June for $750.00 round trip. Looks like a French airline. We've done the same thing- layovers in Paris or Rome- makes for a nice side trip. They didn't have rates for October yet, but they were less than half the price for tickets from the other airlines in June.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

Morning Mitsa, XL are a low cost French carrier, fine as far as I know.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

Thanks, GB- wish they flew out of somewhere nearby, their prices are ridiculously cheap.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

When we go to Greece it's in October during the off season when rates are unbelievably low for accommodations, especially on the islands. We live in New Hampshire and there are no direct and/or non stop flights from Boston. There is always a connector flight somewhere. Sometimes it's Boston to New York then to Athens, but usually it's Boston to somewhere in Europe then to Athens. It's not always the cost but the length of the layovers that we are concerned with. Anything under 2 hours is a good layover, then the departure and arrival times and of course the final cost.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 17:56
Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Direct flights from US to Greece?

Thank you for all of your help I think I have figured out what will work for us. Atalia airlines Mia to Rome nonstop 2 days then from Rome to Santorini then Crete with our return flight to Milan nonstop to Miami via American Airlines. Whew!