We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

Hi there

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to greece for August 2014, planning on staying 10-14 days

Wondering which areas are the best to stay in? We were looking more central Athens.

An area with good food, and possible walking access to historical attractions.

Prefer to stay on the less expensive side (since i'm still a student), but are willing to pay a little more so we arent in a sketchy area.

any suggestions for hotels, or motels? all we need is a room double bed nothing fancy. maybe a more touristy area since we don't speak any greek (not that we arent willing to learn some lol)

and maybe some suggestions of places to visit! :) some hidey-hole awesome places

thanks for your help in advance!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

Anything around Syntagma square, Monastiraki and Plaka areas will do just fine. There are many hotels there so you ll probably find something that will work for you. These are very central areas in walking distance from most sights and with plenty options for dining etc.

Avoid anything around Omonia sq, and on any of its side streets.

If you pick a hotel ask here first before booking in order to get advice regarding its location.

Dont worry about not speaking Greek. This is not Spain, France or Turkey... most Greeks can communicate in English in at least a basic level, and of course people working in Tourism most of the times speak fluently.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

Hi there

Most of central Athens is pretty safe, so look for a hotel in Syntagma, Thissio, Monasteraki, and Plaka, all areas are central and all are within very easy distance of the major outdoor sights. Never stayed there myself but the Attalos Hotel gets decent reviews and sits at the southern end of Athinas St, close to its junction with Monasteraki Square. If you really want to economise, then try the Athens Backpackers Hotel which sits on Makri St and is also close to the major sights.

http://www.attaloshotel.com/

http://www.backpackers.gr/

Knowing no Greek won't be an issue, most people have a reasonable grasp at least of English. For places to see, walk up Athinas St to the site of the markets, fish, meat, fruit, veg and a lot more, very colourful and buzzing with activity. Make sure to see the Roman Baths excavations on the eastern side of Amalias Avenue, close to the Oasis cafe and take a ride on the funicular to the summit of Lycavettos Hill and see Athens in all its splendour from 1000 feet up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

I have stayed many times at the Attalos, and can recommend it. It's a comfortable place, with very reasonable rates and a friendly staff. The rooms vary a good deal: some are better than others. The ones at the back on the higher floors (4th-6th) with balconies have marvellous views of the Acropolis and the city: if you request one, and are lucky on arrival, you may get one. The rooftop bar has - they claim - the best views in Athens, of the Acropolis and Lykabetos.

I like the area - Monastiraki/Psyrri borders - much better than Plaka: it has an electric vibe, and although plenty of tourists stay there, it is much less touristy. The street, Athinas, and its neighbouring side streets are full of real shops full of real things that real people need, and the central market, a must for an early morning visit, is a couple of minutes walk up Athinas.

If the Attalos is within your budget, I think you'd like it. Otherwise, GB's other suggestion, Athens Backpackers, is also excellent.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 08:22
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

And a map where these areas are here:

http://g.co/maps/2vym7

a. Green is basically what's around the historical Quarters. Easy acess to the sites, pedestrian network near, many eating / dining options.

b. Yellow is also central but depending location may need 1 - 2 subway stops trip to the sites. Definitely walkable and definitely good areas though too. Eastern part around Hilton Hotel is where many museums are. These areas spread along the initial parts of the X95 airport bus ride to / from the airport so they offer very good transportation options.

c. Blue would also be good to me, except perhaps their Northern sides. Still very central, very lively areas, its with each own character.

All these areas are relatively near to each other. From one end on the West to the other is probably around 40 minutes walking. Acropolis is right in the middle :)

Hamilton, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

i was looking into some hostels

Pella-inn

Pergamo Hotel

Epidacrios Hotel

Soho Hotel

so far liking pella-inn the best, it seems to be pretty central to sight see and has pretty good reviews.

we arent looking for anything fancy, just a place to crash and is attractions assessable by foot

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

Have a look at Airbnb- we got a wonderful apartment in Monastiraki - it can be much less expensive than a hotel if you are going to be there for an extended period of time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

Out of interest, because I hadn't heard of Pella, I looked at the reviews. I would suggest that you do the same, if you haven't already.

I seldom read TripAdvisor reviews, and when I do I pay close attention not to the 5-star ***** cries of delight but to the negative ones. The Pella has some truly awful ones: very specific, too about things like terrible smells, dirty bedding, and mold on the walls. It doesn't seem that cheap, either, and I'm sure you could do better.

It's an excellent location, though, and if that's all that matters to you...

Edited: 12 December 2013, 07:32
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

Pella Inn is by far the best of the 3 for location, but as Alabastron says, it definitely doesn't sound desirable! I did have this on my list of possibles some years back, but had a closer look once I was here & was very glad I didn't choose it :)

Take a look at my reviews (around 18 Athens hotels there), I am always on a budget, but from memory the cheapest ones were Myrto & Adonis, both basic, but clean & in good locations. The Carolina can sometimes come up at a good price too. Byron Hotel is right in Plaka, I would possibly choose it again, but a word of advice, don't opt to pay for the breakfast, I didn't, but did see what others got, not impressed!

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-reviews/Yiassas

Edited: 13 December 2013, 10:32
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,327 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

We visited Athens on a tight budget & based on information from Yiassas (as above post) we stayed at Hotel Myrto. yes it was basic, but clean, warm (this was early March) friendly & with an unexciting but plentiful & filling breakfast. The location was absolutely great as we were doing a lot of walking around from dawn to dusk so never felt it was very far at the end of the day back to base. At the prices they were charging we did not expect (or get) other than street views, but were mostly only in the room after dark & asleep anyway & you can see all the stunning views of Athens from so many places whilst out & about.

Don't worry about language, but if you can learn a few basic words & phrases they will be much appreciated even by Greeks who speak fluent English. Please, thank you, hello, goodnight, very good etc etc - a little goes a long way!

10. Re: Best places/areas to stay in Athens, greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:18