We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece in the Winter

Jerusalem, Israel
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Greece in the Winter

So I am going to Athens next week (Dec 22-26) and I want to know if going to the islands is appropriate at this time, or is it just too cold?

I also want to know which things I should stay away from at this time because of the cool weather. If anyone has anything to share it would be a huge help.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece in the Winter

Hi,

The problem with going to the islands in winter is that some of the smaller islands more or less close down. You will often find the odd taverna or café/bar open in a larger town but in resorts ....... who knows.

You can probably forget sunbathing but remember to take a waterproof.

Bob

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,220 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece in the Winter

Hi,

Aegina is one of the closest islands to the mainland and can be done as a day trip from Athens/Piraeus. Cold or not it is possible !

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece in the Winter

If you do go to any of the islands further from Athena than the Saronics (Aegina etc) be aware that bad weather can cancel ferries. Make sure you get back to the mainland a couple of days before your flight home.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 16:31
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece in the Winter

The only thing to "stay away from" would be the sea which will be very cold in late December. If the dates you give include a part day at either end for arrival and departure then you have three full days and with such a limited time frame, I would stay on the mainland, see what Athens has to offer as you certainly won't have time to travel to any of the further islands.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece in the Winter

Looking at the weaher forecast (not that it can be trusted at 100%), it appears you won't experience issues with boats being stucked at the port due to strong wings as it can sometimes happen. You would however want to make sure that this does not occur if you plan on going to some island the day before your return flight so keep this in mind. If by "island", you are thinking "beaches / swim", then December is certainly not a good period for that. However, an island relatively close to Athens and worth the visit to my opinion would be Hydra which I find much more attractive than Egina or Poros for having the most beautiful harbor. There are also no cars on the island which makes it even more attractive and convenient to tour for a one-day excursion. You can get there from Piraeus by flying dolphin in 1,5 hours.

Jerusalem, Israel
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece in the Winter

thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated! Does anyone know how long it would take to get to the closest island by ferry?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,220 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece in the Winter

Hi,

As little as 40 minutes by flying dolphin but longer by regular ferry. The link below is very useful:

http://www.aeginagreece.com/index.html

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece in the Winter

You only have 3 days,stay in the center of the city where you will be able to barely scratch the surface of the things that Athens has to offer,go to the islands when you come back hopefully at a time with better weather (summer) and when you have plenty of time.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 20:14
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece in the Winter

I’ve just realised that your dates include Christmas Day itself, which I think makes your plan of visiting an island even less attractive! Islanders will be celebrating at home, as there will be very few visitors to make opening tavernas worthwhile. Koutras 1 is right - In Athens there should be more going on: there will be plenty of people eating out and the atmosphere should be much more festive, though Christmas is not as important a holiday as it is in other countries. Now that I live here, I don’t see as much of life in the centre of Athens as I did when we used to come from London and spend a few days here before going on to Crete for Christmas itself. Yesterday I WAS in the centre – there were very few indications that Christmas is imminent: no Christmas tree in the square yet, for example, but I think it’s still a bit early – I certainly wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from coming here!

10. Re: Greece in the Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 02:49
Edited: 20 December 2013, 02:49