We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New Year

Hi coming to Athens tomorrow ,do we need to book restaurant for New Year and any suggestions as all posts are old on forum

Thanks

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year

It's better to book if you target a specific restaurant.

Some restaurants in the center will / may have free tables, still, you 'll have to book if you want a specific one.

1. What price range are you looking for? Some limited restaurants, the more simple eateries will have their normal menus, so price can be anywhere from 10 to 30 euros per person. Food can be cheap here for someone in budget and it's good. Many others will have specials for NYE and NY and this can be anywhere from 30 to 100 per person or up to the sky if you want when it involves live music or a 5* hotel restaurant. What price range are we talking about?

2. What style do you want? Simple EATERY or something more lux for a special ocassion?

3. Are we talking about New Year's Eve or New Year's day?

4. Area? Center? which side of it?

Edited: 27 December 2013, 09:45
London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year

Hi

Thanks for replying,Its my sister and I who are 40 ish! Young at heart want something lively would like traditional rather than trendy any restaurant reccomendations would be welcome .We are staying at the Olympic but feel anything "fancy" will be a bit couply.

Thanks

Karen

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year

Ok :-)

I guess you mean Royal Olympic.

If this is the hotel you are staying, that's pretty central, good location and near to Plaka area.

Exiting the hotel doors, turn to the left, walk straight ahead, past the pedestrian lights, in the small street and you 'll end up at the side of Acropolis Museum. Plaka is on your right and you 'll have plenty of options there, most of the places won't have special menus.

Near Royal Olympic Hotel for NYE i 'd strongly suggest Mani Mani. Most English speaking sites refer to it as Manh Manh. A bit of a crossword to pronounce this :-) Mani Mani has a NYE special for 40 euros per person + drinks. Considering this is NYE and the restaurant's good tastes, this is a very good price. Their menu for the night is set, includes welcome drink, soup, salad, appetizer, main, dessert and i would expect this to be a very very good dinner. Restaurant ranks high in TA reviews ( 15 out of 1180 in Athens ). TA reviews here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189400-… . Definitely not couply, you 'll see small families, some groups of friends, some couples there. I 'd almost sure pick this one if they have availability. Place is walking distance from RO.

Something very simple and traditional is Scholarchion. This is a very simple eatery and will come around 14 euros per person. They serve mezedhes and have an offer every day. It's 5 plates + wine + bread + some complimentary dessert in this price. Food is traditional and atmoshphere is a bit of "Old Greece" :-) They don't work with bookings, that's a place standing there around a century, still throw them a call some hours before, just in case. Site and phone numbers here: http://www.sholarhio.gr/english/ Scholarchion may be too simple for many people, i 'd probably keep this one just for NY lunch, with a walk in Plaka.

Mani Mani is a restaurant that offers a very very good NYE menu in a very good price. Scholarchion is a simple traditional eatery, suitable for a more simple meal. Both are very good but each in their category. I have gone to Scholarchion a gazzilion more times than Mani Mani and i love it but for NYE it would be Mani Mani.

Map for both here : http://goo.gl/maps/zKarS

Is it the Royal Olympic we are talking about? I hope i got it right, he he :)

Edited: 27 December 2013, 16:45
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year

Both are restaurants, so we are not talking about live music on any of them.

I don't know what you mean with lively :-) It means different htings to different people. Keep in mind that NY is in most places in Europe a family thing.

Before midnight and a little after, people here either spend it at homes with friends and family or at restaurants. Then they go out late at night, so most places with music will kickstart at around 1am - 2am and keep going till 5 - 6am. Restaurants will be a mix of ages, from well behaved kids :-) to bigger ages.

Take a look at this too http://sixdogs.gr/ which is a very good option. They have this so called NY extravaganza, he he, so you may want to check the place earlier in the day to locate it, pretty hard to find it as a first timer although it's central. Pinpointing it in the map in a little. Music will be a mix of contemporary mainstream techno.

Chorostasio is a small club i 'd suggest. They have a party starting at 1 am ( hey, that's early here ). Pinpointing it too. Theme for the specific night is "Time Machine", how appropriate, he he :) Their music for the night is 80's, 90's mainstream. Definitely not retro, crowd is 25's - 40's.

Both Six Dogs and Chorostasio have no entrance fee. It's just what you consume. Drinks are in the 3.50 - 8 euros range. Beers are the cheapest, mixed drinks are a bit more. Remember, you can do things for a budget here.

One other option is Gazarte, starting at 00.30, prices from 10 to 25 euros. Live band, swing music for the night.

A lot is going on during this night, so you will have options for sure :)

Thing is that you will probably have to pick a restaurant from late pm till midnight and early am, then going to a second place for drinks and an extravaganze till 4, 5, 6 am. This is considered a very normal night here, he he he :) And a good way to start a new Year :) Gazi are will also start fliing up at 1am. Quite a long walk from the hotel, but can be done almost fully pedestrian, so pinpointing this too.

Pinpointing the places in a little.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year

A translation for Mani Mani here: http://tinyurl.com/NYE-ATHENS-RESTAURANTS

( scroll down a bit, resaturant translated as Mani )

A translation for some of the parties here: http://tinyurl.com/NYE-ATHENS-TRANSLATION

Please keep in mind that Google's automatic translation is a wonderful too, still, it has a long road to cover to translate Greek efficiently. So, some of the automated English translation will have some phrasal mistakes.

and sorry for the caps in the links :-)

Edited: 27 December 2013, 17:17
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year

You could also try two great restaurants in MITROPOLEOS street (very close to Syntagma sq and Plaka) ,TZITZIKAS & MERMYGAS and the BEST "new" restaurant in town (it is 100 years old but has opened in a new location) ATHINAIKON on Mitropoleos 34.trust me you won't regret it (call them at 210-352688 to see if they are open on the dates and hours you are interested)

Edited: 27 December 2013, 19:20
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year

- Tzitzikas and Mermigas is a very good option, it will definitely need prebooking' quite busy. They definitely need to freshen up their menu, it has been the same some years now, which is good thing if it sells. And it does sell. Still they will be quickly overran by new and very ambitious chefs that offer a lot in a cometitive price. I'd definitely pick it, not sure if it would be for NYE.

- Athinaikon: I 'd definitely pick this one for a meal, again not sure for NYE. Nevertheless, judging by their previous establishment which was very very very good, i 'd pick them. I haven't gone in the new one, still, they have made a bold move, in this neigbrhood and i 'm sure it will be a succesful one.

Getting both in the map.

8. Re: New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:18