We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Porto Germano

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Porto Germano

Tried doing a search without much luck...so asking here.

Looking at pictures of Porto Germano it seems wonderful! We are looking to do the essential touristy stuff in Athens, then take it easy at a beach and get away from the tourist areas. Seems like Porto Germano is one of the best/better beaches. Would it be wiser to take a bus or to rent a car? What are the accommodations like in the area? I'm having trouble finding any information on Porto Germano at all, actually.

Also, we were looking at early September as it seems like the weather is just mild enough. Any tips on when to travel? We were thinking maybe May, but it seems like the ocean temperature is much colder.

Any other advice is welcome :) Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Porto Germano

I'm having trouble finding any information on Porto Germano at all, actually.

Perhaps you should try Porto GermEno instead.

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Porto Germano

I found this out shortly after posting. :\ I found it spelled that way somewhere along the web and didn't question it.

Thinking about Chania, Crete now instead.

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Porto Germano

AND after discovering that a ferry to Crete will be quite a long time, and a tiny plane to Crete will be quite scary for my boyfriend... I am back to thinking about Porto Germeno.

Even with the correct spelling, I am hard pressed to find any kind of information in regards to public transport and accommodations. Is it so off the beaten path that there are no hotels/vacation rentals to be found? Should I consider a more "happening" beach. I fell in love with the images of the blue/green water. So I am looking for something like that not too far from Athens.

Helpful suggestions welcome!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Porto Germano

hi and welcome..indeed porto germeno is not too well known,so i can't help with details..why not take a look at the saronic islands,like hydra,spetses,poros,agistri ,aegina etc..

they are a short ferry ride from athens' main port,pireaus (from one to two hours) and they are not crowded..well,some are more touristy than the others,so maybe start looking and see which one sounds good to you..

september is agreat time to visit,like you said the water is still warm,most crowds of tourists are gone ,less heat and the prices are cheaper..

take a look here for starters..

http://www.greeka.com/saronic/

Edited: 31 December 2013, 19:06
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Porto Germano

Well, I haven't been on this area since 10+ years ago, but I did a quick web search and it seems like you may get Ktel Attikis bus towards Erythres, disembark at Villia then swap to Porto Germeno, service runs a couple of times per day. Bus ride lasts around an hour. Bus seems to departs from Thisio area.

I can't find proper English version sites with info, but seems there are some rooms to let around. If you contact them, I'm sure they'll help with transport arrangements.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Porto Germano

Hello. I have seen a hotel at Villia. www.hotelsline.gr/root/newhotel/show_eg.asp…

. The area is indeed magnificent but not very easy to walk around because of the steep climbs.

If you could hire a car it would help.Do visit the temple of Hera by the Vouliagmeni sea lake.

Nice are also Trikala villages nearby

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Porto Germano

Thanks all for your replies! I didn't consider the saronic islands as I thought they'd be overcrowded with tourists..but I'm coming to find that may not be the case. Looking at Aegina and still searching. Thanks again!

8. Re: Athens to Porto Germano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18